Growing Up | Teen Ink

Growing Up

May 25, 2016
By Charliegraham BRONZE, Morrow, Ohio
Charliegraham BRONZE, Morrow, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Covered from head to toe in peanut butter and cake batter I forced my legs to trot one after the other back to my humble home. I wasn’t aware that a family friend was visiting at the time when I came home from the neighbors house. Siina was visiting from Finland, she was about 17 and she traveled here for the first time without her parents. I can only imagine what thoughts traveled in her mind about America when I passed by her leaving behind a trail of peanut butter footsteps. Earlier that day my best friends and I decided it would be fun to have a food war in our woods. It wasn’t an unusual idea mostly because we’ve had them numerous times before. Each one ending up in either laughter or anger


This was years before cellphones were a wanted necessity in children’s lives. As soon as the clock hit 7 we knew play time was up and it was time to go home. Well, for me. None of the other kids really had many rules like I did. I was constantly made fun of for the stupid rules I followed. One of them being, going home on time. During our food war I lost track of time. The wind hit my cake batter covered skin as I ran against it towards my home. It took hours to get the peanut butter out of my hair. My mom was definitely not happy with me, and especially since we had company. This wasn’t the first time I forgot to come home, or came home covered in something messy.


Down at the neighbor's house there was always a new adventure. Whether it was laying on the roof to watch the stars or flashlight mania I always came home with a joyful, bright smile on my face. The six of us had extreme plans for our futures. Us girls would go to college together and be roommates as well as the boys. We were filled with so much ambition. It seemed as if the whole world was right here on Red Fox Trail. Until we began to grow up.
Cell Phones and rebellion and boyfriends and girlfriends! Man it all came so fast. New tasteful vocabulary wasn’t just cool cuss words we secretly said. Soon enough we were spitting hurtful cuss words not only at other people but at each other. The neighbors house was basically a rule free zone. We stayed out all night ding dong ditching. They were also a really athletic family. Each member played sports and their father was even in the army. My family- the complete opposite. I’m a musician and not a very fast runner at that. So ding dong ditching and flashlight mania were not my favorite games to play. I always got caught and I always got tagged. It was no longer fun for me! But it became more and more fun for them.


Our hopes and dreams suddenly became less realistic. Boys began to determine how much we cared what we looked like. The group slowly drifted apart. In just a year we had already lost two people to growing up. Who knows how much longer it would take until the four of us were no longer the strongest bestest friends in all of the universe. I thought maybe just maybe it could work out but every sun must go down. It was like the clock suddenly hit 7 but for good this time.


We were only a couple yards away from each other but at the time it felt like miles and miles. Life just put a giant wall between our houses and there was no way of getting over it. After weeks of trying to still be kids it didn’t work out.  At the time my entire world was over. I lost my best friends! What would happen to our plans? Our dreams? I figured out that it’s going to be okay. We’ll always have our wacky memories of walking on ice and swimming in the creek. Being friends with them made me a strong person, mentally and physically. I’m able to be made fun of and take it like no big deal. I am who I am because of my childhood best friends. As much as I wish we were still best friends I know that it all worked out this way for a reason. My neighborhood is the reason for the way I am today.


Now we’re all grown up and on our own. One person is in the Navy now, playing real war instead of pretend. We all drive and work hard at our jobs. Some of us are committed to serious relationships and some of us haven’t even been seen in years. 


Sometimes I watch out my window and I watch the children playing out there today. I know that they are the happiest, proudest kids ever but It tears my heart apart to know that they won’t always be playing out in the snow or sunshine. I used to be them. Knocking on doors asking if we could play that day. But growing up happens and that’s okay. 


The author's comments:

I wrote this in honor of my childhood friends who I have drifted apart from. They made me the person that I am today and I am so grateful for the expierences they gave me.