Old Beginning, New End | Teen Ink

Old Beginning, New End

By M.Fernandez BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
M.Fernandez BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois

“Hey, could I join you guys?”

“Sure, I don’t see why not.”

April 12th, 2016, was a mundane day at my high school. I was not expecting anything out of the ordinary to occur that day during third period lounge. Before school I had received some Polish desserts in a glass container with blue lid from a friend. What I would later come to find out is that the friend that gave me the desserts was the best friend, at the time, of this girl that wanted to be a part of our table. This girl’s name is Lara. Daughter of Jordanian parents, she is of a relatively small stature. Her dark hair that contains shades of cinnamon and her light mahogany skin tone was apparent from the rest of the student body. She has a clearly distinguishable look as if there was a galaxy in her chestnut colored eyes and a universe in her mind. 

When I first saw her coming to the table I already started forming a mental prejudice of her before she even said anything. This was a mistake and I later learned not let the prejudices I formulate mentally affect me to the point that I do not wish to speak with someone. You could miss out on all the advantageous opportunities in front of you and never realize it until you let go of the pride you uphold subconsciously. By engaging in interactions at that moment and onward, I do believe that prejudices are only conceived to help deter us from any possible rapports and positive  influences in our lives.

When I had succumbed to the the specious belief I had created, I tried my best to avoid any communication with her. It was explicitly clear that I was ignoring her. Despite my egoistic tendencies, she was notably inclined to speak to me most out of all the people present at the table. If an unexpected contingency were to occur, she would try to help me from what appeared to be instinctively. This made her distinctly different from any other individual that I had ever met. On this day I had to obtain a book for my English class to check in. I was asking my acquaintances from the table if I could borrow theirs. When she saw that my efforts were in vain, she demand that I handed her my student I.D. so she could check out the book for me. I was very curious as to why she was behaving  in this manner. Following the acquiescent transition from my wrongful prejudice, began an intuitive and silent endeavor to acquire more information about each other. She would always appear to take a genuine interest in esoteric knowledge I would share with her; as I have previously had been through a chapter in my life by investing my time in my spirituality. I would share with her some enlightening ideals that I have been able to comprehend and objects such as healing crystals and books. Out of all the people I have generously shared the book, The Kybalion by Three Initiates, with, she has been the only one to have showed me that they made an attempt in reading it. It just talks about the seven hermetic principles that govern the universe. The level of maturity she displays for this and everything was close to surreal for me. Anyone one else would have categorized me as lacking sanity or taboo. She would often inquire that I share more information with her. I would, and unknowingly, I was helping her with situations that she was going through. From getting to know her more, she would always mention her desire for me to become more translucent with her instead of the reticent figure I portrayed at our first encounter. As I slowly unrestricted myself from my unfortunate prejudice, she did too.

There was undoubtedly a partially cryptic meaning underlying all the time we had spent conversing with each other; the meaning was to assist each other on the path we decided to voyage together. We slowly recognized this and began acting upon it. Little acts of time sharing from my injury, helping me carry my backpack, to subconsciously attempting to see each other as much as possible before, during, and after school, are anything but platitudinal and trite. I hope, time, as very important and symbolic in These little acts have progressively grown. We have been investing conscious efforts to do and be our best. We also try to help each other out as much as the other can. As a result of all the positive encouragement and assistance, we have never let eachother down.
It is only questionable where my position would be if I had not had the opportunity to meet Lara. I was actively fighting a war against with myself. I had convinced myself that my integrity was whole. Only after this encounter with Lara did I come to the realization that  my wholeness was just a specious schtick I was displaying. I believed I could have convalesced fully by myself. Never did it manifest in mind that I needed help. Everything happens for a reason. For some reason, Lara came to me that day. The synchronicity of the whole time span of the event left me in awe when I reflected upon it. Little did I know, Lara was also fighting her own battles. We came to each other's aid at a right moment. From then, slowly a sense of purity started emerging. It seemed that all negative influences and energies were being evicted from our lives. That only meant that there was room for positivity and growth, which we have been able to supply each other in surplus. We gracefully accepted these subtle changes to our lives because we wanted to superior and improved “us” for us. It has been an ongoing process of assistance and analysis. From this, it has been a constant summation to or previously acquired knowledge of each other. This only leaves me with an insatiable yearning to learn more. After all, “life’s all about learning”(Lara).