Wrestling | Teen Ink

Wrestling

By orumgbeagholor BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
orumgbeagholor BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois

This season in wrestling I had many accomplishments. I was undefeated going 27-0, and  was the first person in school  history to win the Bolingbrook wrestling tournament, and I also put on very exciting matches that were very fun for other people to watch. Even though I had so many accomplishments during the wrestling season I had to work extremely hard to get to where I was.

Another successful season of football was over, now it's time for wrestling season to begin. At first I was hesitant to wrestle this year because it I would have to start cutting weight again which is not a fun thing to do at all. However after serious consideration I decided that it was not only beneficial for the wrestling program but beneficial to me to. I stopped eating meat for awhile and I ran a mile four days a week. I also wore a sweater and sweatpants every time I wrestled in the wrestling. Since the wrestling room is always hot wearing these clothes allowed me to sweat mor. I cut 10 pounds before my first meet and I was now in better shape to wrestle. Losing weight wasn’t the only thing that made me into a successful wrestler. Coming to practice every day and training with 2x State Qualifier Ibrahim Nasir, Coach Winterhalter (Wrestled at University of Illinois) and Coach Kibiersza also helped me become a great wrestler. They were so helpful because they were so much better than me and weighed a lot more than I did.  This helped me out a lot because when I would go to wrestle people my weight that were a lot lighter than them I was able to perform the moves with ease such as the double leg takedown and the bear hug. These things really helped out on my performance on the wrestling mat.

This season school wrestling history was made. I was the first person to ever win the Bolingbrook wrestling tournament. It was not easy but I got the job done. The hardest match for me in that tournament was in the semifinals when I faced Bolingbrook's very own James. It was a hard fought battle. I started off really good. I hit a quick double leg takedown forty seconds into the match.  As match went on in the final seconds of the first round  I made a crucial escape and let him get an escape with fifteen seconds left in the first round, so as we were going into the second round I was winning 2-1.  In the second round of the match James White took one of the quickest shots I have ever seen and he managed to get a takedown on me. Now the score was 3-2 with James beating me. For a good minute I tried my best to escape but I could not. I simply did not have any more stamina to try and escape and I was about to give up. That’s when I thought about how many people were counting on me to win this tournament. With the little energy I had left I did a move called the funk roll and I got two reversal points. However right as i got the two points James White being the smart wrestler he is took advantage of my low energy and  quickly escaped with ten seconds left in the match gaining one point. Going into the third round the score was all tied up 4-4. In the third round I had the choice to go top, bottom or neutral. I looked at my coach and in my mind I am thinking he is going to choose neutral because that way I could stall get some energy back and finish the match. However to my surprise he chose for me to go bottom. I looked at him with a look of astonishment. As I went down wondering why my own coach would jeopardize my chances of winning the tournament, the referee called for the round to start. I immediately felt my body start to ache from all the pressure that was on top of me. A usual round of wrestling is two minutes. For a 1:58 James White rode the hell out of me. However during the 1:30 mark I realized something. Even though he was riding me very good he could not  turn me nor can he pin me. That is when I realized why Coach Kibiersza chose bottom for me, because he knew that I was to strong for most people to turn me, let alone pin me. That is when I started to gain confidence. I started to get back into my base at 1:45 seconds. Then with my last remaining energy I started to escape his grip. I escaped right as the bell rung. After that match I would go on to win the finals and bring home the gold.

The 2016 wrestling went very well for me. I  was the first person ever in school history to win the Bolingbrook tournament. This was definitely the most incredible accomplishment I have ever had in all my years of playing sports. It is all thanks to my coaches and my teammates because if it was not for them I would have never made it past the semifinals. If it wasn’t for beating me up on a daily basis and pushing me to my limits I wouldn’t be the great wrestler I am today.

about my wrestling season