Start up my Game | Teen Ink

Start up my Game

May 18, 2016
By jennarose12 BRONZE, Suffern, New York
jennarose12 BRONZE, Suffern, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was the start of the summer softball season playing in a competitive all star team. Once everyone got to the field it was time to work hard. Everyone thought this would be a tough win. So we warmed up and knowing that if we lose a game then we could get knocked out of the competition so their was no time to lose. Coach Ed walked over to our huddle and gave a little pep talk. He said, “Let's go out there and punch them in the face.” I was the lead off batter and I knew I had to start my team up with a hit. We went back into the dugout and everyone got hyped. I walked up to the batter's box and took two practice swings then blue called “batter up” and I stepped into the box pulled up the sides of my pants. I looked at Coach Ed and then waited for the pitch. The pitcher swung her arms back and I loaded, the pitch came in but it was a ball. I stepped out took two practice swings then stepped in looking at Coach Ed and pulling on my pants. The pitcher swung her arms back and I loaded. The pitch came in and I swung and hit it the ball all the way past the left fielder and hit the fence. I sprinted to first turning to second then I slid into third. The ball got thrown back in to the pitcher and I got up and said to Coach Ed, “Did I punch them hard enough?” He nodded and gave me a high five. Then the rest of my team were hitting and scoring and my dad, the assistant coach, said to me, “If you go we all go”. I needed to hit to start my team off with a hit and I did my job. The game continued and my teammates made great plays in the infield and the outfielders and I made great catches. Our pitcher and catcher were one of the best I’ve known and threw many no hitters throughout the season. We mercied that team and that was when we knew that our hard work had lead us to victory. After our team and everyone was pumped up and kept hitting. I realized that this was why I played softball. I played for fun, for me helping to win and my teammates helping me, I love to play and hitting it off the sweet spot felt good running around the bases. We continued to the Sections part of the championship and I kept hitting and as well as my teammates too. We won Sections and went to the New York state championship and won. This was also our second time representing New York state in the Eastern Regionals. When we were 12 we won the Eastern Regionals, but that year we lost to a better team who ended up winning the world championship. Even though we did not win the whole thing, we had fun getting there and I realized how much hard work pays off.