Snow day | Teen Ink

Snow day

By Echurgin BRONZE, Suffern, New York
Echurgin BRONZE, Suffern, New York

Snow Day

It was a Tuesday afternoon, the phone rang and I could feel the excitement bubble inside my brother and I. When we heard the words “NO SCHOOL” come out of the phone we jumped as high as the tree tops! We were so happy and wondered how we were going to spend the next day without any school!
The snow sparkled through the air grabbing everyone's attention. It left an icy blanket on the fresh grass turning it into frost. The water was no longer flowing, it turned hard and cold. The world turned into a winter wonderland, no more green, just white. Summer was well gone by now and the birds all were in Florida.
My nose looked like Rudolph's, shining the reddest color it could be. My toes started to lose feeling and my ears were screaming at me to leave. As I looked around I saw men made of snow and angels dancing on the ground in front of me. There was ice winking at me; taunting me to walk on it.
I laced up my skates slowly, with my hands that could barely move. When I stood up my heart started to race. My brother ran as fast as he could to the ice. This was his happy place; he felt like he could do anything here. I was different.
I took my first step on the frozen water and started to glide. Don’t fall was the only thought I had in my head. I started to go faster and faster. I can do this! I am doing this! I looked back at my dad, his smile was so big it almost made me feel warm. My brother was a pro at this, he took his stick and started moving a little black puck around the ice. It looked like a little ant running on a blank piece of paper.
There was no feeling in my hands anymore. My brother didn’t seem to have this problem. He moved so swiftly it looked like he was going to cut a hole in the ice. I tried to move fast so I could get warmer but the wind just made me feel worse. I wished I had an extra layer to keep me warm. It felt like we were on the ice for hours. I was going to freeze!
Finally I decided to go try to walk home myself. I didn’t know how! How could a 7 year old find their way home without an adult? I was lost! I was like a mouse trying to find cheese in a maze. The cold was getting to me. My toes started to freeze right in front of my eyes, I wanted to cry but my tears would have froze to my face! What had only been 30 minutes felt like days. My dad finally came and found me, giving me the biggest blanket I’ve ever seen in my life. I started to feel everything again!
We walked through the blizzard finding our way back home. We finally got there, and the boiling hot chocolate was waiting for me! It smelled fresh and tasted even better! The tip of my tongue was burning and the rest of my body slowly started to do the same. I felt so warm and happy, almost forgetting how cold I was before! We all gathered under the blanket and watched a movie. That was one of the best snow days ever!

One day when I was younger this happend to me and I really enjoy sharing my stories.