Unexpected Birthday | Teen Ink

Unexpected Birthday

May 5, 2016
By emenzel GOLD, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
emenzel GOLD, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
12 articles 3 photos 2 comments

“Hey, Grandma are you ready? Do you have everything you need?”  was what I was wondering as I entered her complex. 


“Coming!” yelled my Grandma.  She was confused as to why we were bringing her to the hospital. 


“Do you have everything you need? Did you remember to grab your crossword puzzle book, lunch, and your purse?” I asked again to make sure she had everything.


“Yes, I’m all ready to go” my grandma answered.  We all enter the hospital anxiously to see my Grandpa Bob. 
“Hello” mutters my grandpa.  
“Bob how are you feeling?” asked my Grandma. 


He replied, “I’m feeling fine at the moment, just before you came, the doctor took my echocardiogram.” 


“OK, everything's good!  Need me to bring you anything or do anything at the house?”  asked my mother. 


“It'd be nice if you can change my water in my filters.  There is one in the dining room and one upstairs.   Can you also bring me my cell phone charger so I can charge my phone?  I hate using this lousy phone in the hospital because it so quiet and such a pain!” my Grandfather replied politely.


 It was January 2015 at the time of his heart failure, close to his birthday.  We had a special surprise birthday party planned for him with all of his friends and family. However, at the beginning of the month, there was something wrong, so he knew he had to go to the hospital.  After a  few tests, they said that he needed to have a defibrillator put in.  He wasn't sure how long this would take or if he would be okay enough to be sent home before his birthday. 


-  Two weeks later -
When we arrive at the hospital to greet my grandpa once again, the nurse happened to pop in.  My mom politely asked the nurse, “Is there a chance that we could use the waiting room by the elevators for a little party for my father in law?” 


The nurse replied, “Yeah sure, but Robert should only be having a little cake because he won’t feel too good with the medicine the doctor gave him this morning.” 


After we had left the building, my mom called my Aunt Bobby.  “Hello?” said my Aunt,  “Hi Bobby, it's Pam. I am just leaving the hospital.  Did you call all of Bob's friends and the rest of the family to tell them that the surprise party was canceled?”


Aunt Bobby told my mom,  “Yes and some of them wanted to give Bob a call.” I could hear that my mom was excited, and I heard her continue to tell Aunt Bobby, “Oh good! I talked to the nurse, and they said that we could have a little party in the waiting room by the elevators.”


“Great,” said my aunt, “I’ll bake a cake for tonight.” 


“Sounds good,” said my mom.  “Yes, everything looks good!” 


Tonight when we got off the elevator in the hospital we went into the small room to wait for my grandpa. 

 

“SURPRISE!!!” we all shouted when he came in the room.  He was so amazed to see us all here. We sang happy birthday and ate cake to celebrate. We even gave my grandpa presents that included a fire department sweatshirt and a jumpsuit for when he walks around in the hospital.  He was so happy that he could celebrate his 80th birthday with us.


The author's comments:

Spend time with your grandparents like it's your last time you'll ever see them.