Finally Free | Teen Ink

Finally Free

By claudiatrosclair BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana
claudiatrosclair BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana

As I was sitting in class, watching the clock, all I could think about was the freedom that I was about to have. This was finally the day that I was getting my license, a day that would change my life forever. I thought of my cool new car that I got over the summer and how much fun it was going to be to drive it. Also, I would no longer have to depend on my mom to bring me where I wanted.  I could choose where I wanted to go and when I wanted to go. My new found freedom awaited me at the DMV. All I had to do was get through this long math class and I would be out the door. An entire math class goes by when I hear Mrs. Ashley on the intercom, calling me down to the office. I shot up out of the dull math lesson, grab my backpack, and race to my dad who was waiting for me.

In the office, my dad signed me out of school and we drove to the DMV. When we got there, it was the greatest feeling to see an entirely empty DMV. An empty DMV was a rare experience that I have never seen before. I thanked God that this experience appeared easy. I nervously went up the the desk asking for a license. The DMV worker was very pleasant to my surprise, and asked for all of my documents. However, after she accepted all of the documents, she then asked for my mom’s signature. My Mom! That was who I forgot to bring! In a panic, I get my dad to call my mom to come out and sign the document. She was not sure if she wanted to drive all the way out to Rivertown, but after a few minutes of my begging she finally gave in and came. After that scary situation was all figured out, I was so relieved. She signed the documents and I got to take my license picture. I smiled extra big that day because of how excited I was. Finally, after so many long months without driving, I had a license!

When I got home I first had to take an Instagram picture with me and my new license. Then, I was off! I jumped in my car, turned the music up loud, and started driving. I was so nervous to drive on my own that I was shaking. It was especially scary because it was a rainy day. However, I overcame this fear because all I wanted to do was drive.  I decided to first drive around just to experience what it was like. So, I drove around Kenner, stopped at Starbucks, and then went to the gym. I kept thinking about what would happen if I got in a wreck or got pulled over by a police officer. When I realized there were not any cops around I suddenly gained confidence. I was driving and speeding all over the place like a wild child! Since it was raining and I was going about ten miles over the speed limit, my car started to hydroplane all over the road. It did a little spin around the road and I suddenly accepted death. Thankfully, the slight spin stopped and there were no cars around. I was so happy that I did not die or hurt anyone else. This potential accident taught me that I need to appreciate this new freedom and drive much safer, even if there were not any cops around to pull me over. This accident scared me so much that for several months I drove under the speed limit. I learned that with my freedom, came a lot of responsibility. Since my first day having a license, I have been as responsible as I can while driving. To this day I am so happy that I can choose to go wherever I want whenever I want, but I will always be a responsible driver.