In Touch with the Dead | Teen Ink

In Touch with the Dead

By Leigh116 PLATINUM, Easley, South Carolina
Leigh116 PLATINUM, Easley, South Carolina

"We're all mad here." -Alice in Wonderland

I’m a strong believer in the supernatural. Whether it is ghosts, vampires, or demons, I believe that somewhere these things exist. With that being said, I also believe there are alternate universes and paradox worlds that we have yet to create the technology to discover.

All my life I have heard of psychics and mediums who can communicate with the dead. As I mentioned above, I believe strongly in the existence of supernatural beings. One supernatural being I believe exist are ghosts. I think the main reason I believe that ghosts exist, is because I have had many experiences with the dead. I know it sounds crazy, but I can sense the dead. When I’m in certain places, the room will feel colder and my chest will feel heavy. I’ve had times when I swear I could feel something touching me even though nothing was there. It has always been easy for me to feel the presence of the dead. From a young age, I’ve thought that there were things roaming the Earth that we couldn’t see.

One of my first experiences with a ghost was at my great-grandmother’s house. Everyone in my family will tell you that her house was haunted, and many people, along with myself, have had strange ghostly encounters in that house. I was spending the night at her house along with my Meme. I was having a hard time sleeping, which is normal for me, and when I got up to use the restroom, I saw an older lady in the bedroom with me. I knew it wasn’t my great-grandmother because she was upstairs and I hadn’t heard her come in. I also knew it wasn’t my Meme because she was asleep in the bed. I distinctly remember the older woman smiling at me. I didn’t really think much of it until more encounters started to occur.

Another time I felt close to the spirit world was when I visited my grandparent’s daughter’s grave. The whole time I was there, I felt like I was surrounded by spectacles that I couldn’t see, hear, or communicate with. It was like an invisible thing trying to shove its way into my mind, crying out to be noticed. When we left the cemetery, the presence I felt seemed to follow me back to my grandparent’s house. That night I dreamed of this elderly couple that I had never met before, but when I awoke I felt this calm sensation take over my body as if they had finally moved on.

Over the next few years, I never really saw any more ghosts but I could feel their presence around me. Sometimes it would feel like they were screaming at me for attention, as if  they knew I could feel them around me. I feel like I should mention now that I have lucid-dreams. Lucid-dreams are dreams that feel extremely real and you can control to a certain extent because you are aware that you are dreaming. After my great-grandmother’s death, which happened recently, I started to have more lucid-dreams than I normally had. I’ve always struggled with the idea of death; and just the thought of someone not being around anymore, is hard for me to comprehend fully. Then one night I had a dream that I never expected to have. I won’t go into detail but my great-grandmother was in the dream. It felt so real and it really helped my through the grieving process.

The day my great grand-mother died, I felt this strong feeling in my chest almost as if someone was moving through me. I had that same feeling the day my great-uncle died and just a few days ago, I felt the same suffocating feeling. I soon found out it was due to my great-aunt Mary passing. I don’t know if I’ll dream about her like I did my great-grandmother, but if I do I hope it is comforting and peaceful. I  guess you could say I’m in touch with the dead from all of my experiences with spirits and my morbid personality.