Shaking Experience | Teen Ink

Shaking Experience

February 8, 2016
By Melissazan BRONZE, Manteca, California
Melissazan BRONZE, Manteca, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I remember that day, not vividly, but I do remember. I remember needing water badly. I remember laughing with all of my friends. I remember smiling in front of the camera. Last thing I remembered was my head feeling fuzzy.

I woke up on the grass, in front of my whole team and their family. My coach rubbing my back, I got up quickly. They made me lay down. Why were we having a sleepover outside with the parents? My teammates looked at me laying down with frowns upon their faces.

"We called an ambulance, just lay down." A parent said to me calmly.

I shot up again, only to be calmed down again and to fall asleep once more.

"You had a seizure."

I was hectic and said, "no. I've fainted before, I don't have seizures."

"You were out for two minutes, lips were blue, you weren't breathing. You were convulsing, eyes rolled back, and wrists flexed."

My cheeks turned pink, I covered my eyes, I didn't want to see people. I didn't want anyone to see me. I was so embarrassed. I heard a truck roll up, and heard men calmly coming towards me, asking me questions. I finally got to get up, and I felt great.

"Do I have to get on the gurney?" I asked

"Yes you do." The man said

Another truck rolled up very fast, and it had worried written all over it. My dad got out, told the ambulance the information, hugged me, and jetted off to the hospital. I remember laying in the ambulance with all these plugs and machines, the white, plain scenery. I looked over to the EMT and he got a thick IV ready to put in my arm. My arm crunched on the bumpy roads as he stuck the needle in my arm. I am terrified of needles, I had tears rolling down my face.

We got to the hospital and stayed there for hours, getting more needles in and out of me. More tears down my face and embarrassment. After I was clear to go home, I didn't want to see people. I was so scared of suffering another seizure; my days were filled with worry about what was going to happen.

Imagine waking up, with a fear of something you couldn't control, something you are embarrassed about, and you never knew when it was going to happen. Imagine your doctor didn't even give you anti convulsion pills.
I couldn't tell when it was going to happen, and everyday before I wake up, I wish that if I do have a seizure, I am only with one of my parents.

Weird how one event can change the way you think forever.


The author's comments:

What inspired me is to show that people who have suffered a seizure with no warning signs are not alone