My Best Friend | Teen Ink

My Best Friend

By seipele20 SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
seipele20 SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

My mind is as blank as my snapchat story. Some call this “bored” but I don’t think you can be bored every day. I don’t want to do homework or even move from sprawled out lounging on the couch. I turn on the television just to watch the same episodes of that 70’s show just like last night. And the night before. My life is a broken record. It all started when my brother left for college. Before we were a bunch of crazy kids doing something adventurous everyday. Now we are best friends but when he’s gone the adventurous side of me goes away with him.
We are seven years apart which makes our social lives very different. Siblings are like the best friends that can never stay mad at you nor can you stay mad at that them. You're with each other to the end no matter what. I tell more to my brother than I do to anyone in the world and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Our long car rides as we run errands together, our trips to the gym where he makes me play basketball with him, and our growing friendship together are all big parts of my life that help me grow as a person and as a little sister. We have very little in common, other than our home life, and yet we still are the best of friends. Now I know some people hate their siblings and we used to fight all the time, however when my brother left for college he came back actually missing me and appreciating our time together. We never fought again after he came home from college. We never yelled or hated each other. We learned to value each other's company and I am not sure whether to be happy about this or sad. Which is better having your older sibling love you but you always miss them or having them hate you but they are always a few steps away? I don’t know… but we are all meant to leave the nest from our parents and siblings, I just wish he hadn’t left so soon.

I wrote this piece about my brothers impact on my life before and after he left for college.