Just Be Yourself | Teen Ink

Just Be Yourself

By Ryan1306 BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia
Ryan1306 BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia

I remember when I thought that it was right to be just like everyone else. It all started back in elementary school, at first I was a really hyper and crazy boy. I would usually say what was on my mind to anyone, not caring, but that's when the teasing began. After elementary school ended and I was about to go into middle school, usually in movies, they always say that bullying gets worse as time progresses. At that point, I thought that I needed to just be like everyone else.

The first day of school was usually the best day, because you don't have to do any work, I wasn't worried about that, I looked at every kid that passed me and looked at what they were wearing and looked at what type of style that they had. When I went home I asked my mom if we could go shopping for some new clothes and we ended up going. I came to school looking like everyone else. I thought that if I took everyone’s style, the teasing would stop, but it didn't. Everyone said that I would just be trying to be like everyone else. I didn't get it, I thought that being like everyone else that being like everyone else the teasing would stop, how come it didn’t.

Even though it didn’t work, I kept on doing it anyways. Dressing up from a sports guy onto a skater kid. I came to conclusion that you shouldn't be afraid to be who you are. Always be able to want to make your own choices and not follow other people's choices. If everyone would believe in their self and want to be their self, I believe that the world could be a better place.

This peice is about my life growing up in school.