Competition or Collaboration? | Teen Ink

Competition or Collaboration?

November 30, 2015
By ShanelleFernando GOLD, Sewickley, Pennsylvania
ShanelleFernando GOLD, Sewickley, Pennsylvania
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

During the summer before my senior year I participated in an all-girls competition, a scholarship program. Known as Distinguished Young Women of Pennsylvania (DYW), this nation-wide non-profit brought together the most well rounded girls in their local areas to compete for college scholarship prizes. Of course the thought that I might receive a decent amount of money to pay for college excited me. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into at the time, but looking back on the experience, I can say with confidence that it truly changed my life.

The competition was weeklong and as such, each one of the twelve girls stayed with a host family in the Johnstown, Pennsylvania area. Some of us were paired up, and as the week went on, my roommate, Maepearl and I grew closer than ever. Although she enjoyed gymnastics and dance while I liked violin and debate, it was interesting to watch as our friendship unfolded. Soon we were staying up until two in the morning talking about high school and plans for college. It was refreshing to talk about the uncertainty of the future with someone who was in the same boat as I was; through our nightly conversations, I began to forget that we would be competing against each other during the day.

In the days leading up to the competition, we learned a dance routine to be judged as the fitness portion of our competition score. Regardless, none of the girls showed that they were trying to outperform anyone else. Phrases such as “Do you need help with that?” and “I think you might be doing the move wrong” rang in my ear as we rehearsed. At the end of practices we were all physically worn out, but emotionally, the girls never failed to help one another.

During the all-competitors luncheon, I experienced this emotional help first-hand. Sitting next to Jordan, I had no idea that she, like I, had lost her father at a young age. Jordan was a funny, outrageous and talented individual. After we were seated and eating, Jordan turned to me, speaking in the most solemn voice, “I’m sorry your dad passed away--someone told me.” My loss happened years ago, but the fact that Jordan brought it up made me respect her even more than I already did. Here was a girl I barely knew, but had the heart to empathize with me. I started talking about my dad and it felt relieving. After she told me that her father had passed away as well, an instant understanding blossomed between the two of us. It was an understanding I had never before received from someone outside of my own family.

The support I received throughout the week was incredibly encouraging, and the day before the competition, I carried this support forward. It was time for the interviews, the portion of the competition in which each girl would talk about themselves in front of a panel of judges. Passionate about public speaking, I began advising the girls on the best ways to present themselves in front of the judges. “Rosie, think of it like a conversation, not like an interrogation,” I told one competitor. I was glad to help the girls just as they had helped me.

As the competition began and we stood in front of hundreds of people, I reminded myself that each and every one us had taken this journey, from acclimating to a new home to teaching and learning from each other, we all had talents and weaknesses. It was this mentality that got me through the three hours of dance performance, talent presentations and more. Ultimately, to be named runner-up to Rosie was a thrilling experience. I was so happy for my friend who had excelled beyond measure. She truly deserved to be the Distinguished Young Woman of Pennsylvania.

As for me, I was beyond blessed to be named runner-up. The experiences and memories I shared with those eleven girls would last a lifetime. The thought that I had helped Rosie achieve her goal was exciting for me, and I was deeply proud of myself for sharing my skills with others. When I look back on DYW, I don’t see the scholarships; I envision the late-night talks with Maepearl, the generosity I received from Jordan and the teaching and learning that continues to inspire me.