Hunting for Sport | Teen Ink

Hunting for Sport

November 15, 2015
By Johan123 BRONZE, Napa, California
Johan123 BRONZE, Napa, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I believe that hunting for sport is wrong. Did you know that nine hundred five animals are extinct and 16,928 are listed as threatened to be extinct? Well, a big amount of those animals were extinct due to hunting. Now I'm not saying that all hunting is wrong because some third world countries have to hunt to survive. Yet in richer countries, people can go to a store to buy their food and they still hunt just for the fun of it. If you ask me, I don’t see the fun of killing an animal that has no chance against someone with a gun. Hunting makes people have the mentality that it’s okay to kill animals and that leads to people killing endangered animals, even if it’s illegal. People just shouldn’t be able to hunt just for the fun of it.

One day my dad came back home in his truck and there was a cage in the back. Naturally I was curious, so I went towards the truck when I noticed that there was a small little goat that wasn’t even an adult yet. I asked my dad and he said that he bought the goat from his friend and decided to mention that he was going to kill it twenty minutes after he brought it home so I had already been attached to it. My sister was there too and when found out we got really mad at my dad and told him not to kill it. After a good 10 min of complaining we finally convinced my dad not to kill it because we told him that there was no reason for him to kill the goat himself when he could just buy goat meat at a store. My parents know some friends that we visit sometimes and their family really likes animals so we decided to give it to them. For about a month, they had the goat as a pet and they also had the same problems we had because the dad wanted to kill it and eat it but the rest of the family didn’t want it to die. They also were able to convince him not to kill it, but they ended up sending the goat to a family member's farm where it wouldn’t die.

Another thing that has happened to influence my belief is that I have a neighbor that really likes hunting. One day he hunted a deer and brought the body home, but he decided to leave it outside his house for everyone to see. He just left it there like it was some kind of trophy that he just one. Sadly little kids started to make fun of the body and pretended to ride on it. Then they started to move its head and just played with the body like a toy. They laughed at it and felt no problem with there being a dead deer just laying there. Now you might think that someone would tell them to stop playing with it, but no one did. Actually, eventually one of the parents came and told them to stop playing with it, but the majority of the people there didn’t do anything. I felt disgusted by what was happening and left because of what I had just witnessed. The majority of the people there saw no problem with what was happening and a month later, I found out that my neighbors’ daughter wants to hunt when she gets older because she thinks it’s “fun”.

It amazes me how we have changed from hunting to survive to hunting for sport. I just don’t see any reason to kill a living thing for fun. This just leads to people hunting animals, even if it’s endangered because people start to think that there's nothing wrong with killing a life as long as it’s not a human. If there's one thing I ask of you, it's to be open-minded towards animals not just humans and don’t kill for sport.