Myths and Heroes | Teen Ink

Myths and Heroes

November 24, 2015
By anssna BRONZE, Sidney, Other
anssna BRONZE, Sidney, Other
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Life is the most difficult exam. Many people fail because they try to copy others - not realizinf that everyone has a different question paper.


Regarding the notion of Myths and Heroes, it could be interesting to begin to say what is the meaning of a hero. A hero is a person who is admired for their courage,outstanding achivements or noble qualities. It can also be a modern-day hero, a person who has performed a heroic act or simply our own personal hero, our role model, who we look up to. But for me a hero means something bigger and more important. A  hero is someone who makes this world a better place. The subject starts to be very interesting when we ask this question to our self: 


How can an ordinary person make the world a better place?


I will answer this question from by point of view . In the first place we’ll see that an ordinary person can make the world a better place only by doing what it has to be done(making a difference)(Lady Diana+ Rosa Parks), and by being their own hero(Florence Nightingale).


1. By doing what is have to be done.
Sometimes the world needs only a step by a courageous person to do what is have to be done, this is what happened the 3th of February in 1989. In the 1980s the AIDS epidemic was coursing through the world and many people believed that you could get AIDS by touching someone or being in the same room with someone who has AIDS. But the 3th of February in 1989, Princess Diana became the first high profile person to be photographed hugging an AIDS victim, helping put an end to the social stigma. In a newspaper article taken from the Los Angeles Times named ‘Moved by Visit to Harlem Hospital: Di Hugs, Strokes Young AIDS Patients’, the journalist draws our attention to the fact that no one else then Princess Diana had the courage to do this because when Diana asks if the situation will get worse in next 5 years the doctors says ‘Well into the next century’. This little act of this woman made a huge difference in thousands of lives.


Or we can take Nelson Mandela who did just like Diana. Mandela was an enemy, a liberator, a fighter, a revolutionary rebel who fought for freedom of Africa People. He saw the struggling of black people in their on country because of racist white people. He said ‘For fifty years, we’ve been talking peace and non-violence…not anymore, something has to change’. When he was fighting for his freedom he went trough many massacres. For example, the Sharpeville massacre occurred on 21 March 1960. They were only protesting against the pass laws but the police killed 69 people even if the crown was peaceful. But again he never gave up. Even if he was accused for sabotage and having the intention of overthrowing the government and risking a life prison sentence, he stood up and he said ‘I have cherished the ideal of a free, democratic society where all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live and achive, but if needs to be, it is an ideal which I am prepared to die’ And his dream came true, in 1994 he became the president of south Africa.

2. By dreaming of changing this world

Steve Jobs says: ‘The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.’  I think an ordinary person can be hero by dreaming of changing this world. Let’s take Martin Luther King. Martin Luther King, Jr. was an activist, humanitarian, and leader in the African-American Civil Rights Movement.  He dreamed a world without racism, he dreamed that his four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character. And if we look today we see that his dream became true. He dreamed of a peace between blacks and whites. And most importantly he believed that problems can be sold without violence.  Moreover, Gandhi did the same thing. Gandhi was the preeminent leader of the Indian independence movement in British-ruled India. He made peace between to nation without any violence. He is still inspired by all of the world.

In conclusion, the meaning of hero can change with time, with different cultures. I wanted to present this subject because I think we can all be heroes. Even if we don’t do such things as activist of princess but everyday it’s a journey we should be prepared for. A lot of heroes are millions of people's heroes but we can still be heroes of our self’s.