Open Doors | Teen Ink

Open Doors

November 24, 2015
By Godismysavior BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
Godismysavior BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way” (Frank Smith). This means that knowing more than one language will give you many more opportunities and benefits versus only knowing one language. Not only is it required to take a foreign language in high school but it is also very rewarding in life. Also if you want to travel you won’t have to hire an interpreter because you will already know the language. Every one who does not already know more than one language should learn another language, and everyone who already knows two or more languages need to improve and become proficient because it will open many doors in your future.


I was born in Ukraine where my parents and all of my 5 older siblings, were also born. We came to America on May 11th, 2004 when I was 3 years old. Ever since I can truly, clearly remember things, we -my siblings and I- spoke english to each other and my mom would get us in trouble and say, “Please speak russian at home, because you speak english everywhere so you won't forget it. But you have to practice speaking russian to not forget it.” I also went to russian school at my church, where I learned how to read and write. But I had never thought that knowing another language or keeping and improving my 1st language -russian- skills would be that beneficial, until the summer after 4th grade.


My parents, my youngest sister -that was almost 1 at that time- and I went to Ukraine to visit our relatives. When we arrived in Ukraine my uncle picked us up from the airport and drove us to my grandparents house in a little village, where the sun, chickens, turkeys, and the dog greeted us, while my grandma and aunt were preparing for the family dinner. Then my cousins, Alina, Elya, Vlad, Ilya, Katie, and Roman, which are all about my age, started coming over. They were curious and wanted to know about life in America, what kind of school we go to, and many other things. Even though I knew russian but I wasn't proficient at it and confident speaking it, when they were asking question and talking to me I couldn't answer. I tried answering in russian but instead ended up answering in American, which they didn't understand, so I just kept quiet and embarrassed myself anyway. If I would have been good at speaking russian then even my nervousness would not have gotten in the way.


Every one who does not already know more than one language should learn another language, and everyone who already knows two or more languages need to improve. With knowing many languages comes benefits like being able to speak to people who don't speak your language. Therefore, if you want to live life to the fullest with many opportunities learn another language or if you already know more than one then make sure to practice and improve your ability.