Indigo | Teen Ink

Indigo

October 22, 2015
By jkedwards PLATINUM, West Branch, Iowa
jkedwards PLATINUM, West Branch, Iowa
35 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Halloween is an interesting even at my boarding school. Students dress up, but instead of going to houses in their neighborhoods, they go around to the staff houses to collect candy. Costumes range from the extremely creative, to wearing sunglasses to try to pass as “Gangsta.” I myself was wearing an extremely tight prom dress as I was going as Nancy Botwin from the hit television show Weeds. He on the other hand was dressed head to toe in Indigo for his part in a group costume as a rainbow.

Everyone had finished trick-or-treating hours ago and so we gathered in the student area for loud music and what some might call dancing. I was standing alone by the bar to the student store leaning one elbow on the counter and staring without being to obvious at him talking to his best friend. I wanted to talk to him, ask him if he wanted to watch a movie or something, but my fear of rejection was tremendous. Finally his friend got up and walked out of the room. I racked up all the courage I could muster and walked over to where he was seated.

“Hey, did you have fun tonight?” I asked.

He shrugged before mumbling, “I guess, it was hard as f*** to find all this Indigo clothing.”

“Really, that surprises me. I’ve never had any trouble,” I said, half joking half serious.

He didn’t respond.

“So, do you want to go watch a scary movie or something?” I blurted out.

“With you?” He asked.

“Well, yes, that’s what I had in mind,” he said.

He was silent for a second before I noticed he was looking at where I would have had cleavage.

“You do realize I don’t actually have breasts right?” I asked.

“Are you flirting with me?”

“I don’t know how that would have constituted as flirting, but no.”

“Good. Why would I want to watch a movie with you?” He asked.

“Uhm, because it’s a fun activity that doesn’t involve talking to me, which I know you don’t especially like,” I responded, taken off guard by the question.

“No, I don’t want to watch a movie with you,” he said.

“Ok, so you’re not making this easy on me,” I said.

“What the h*** are you talking about?”

“I mean, you told me you wanted to forget everything that happened last year and start over fresh…. I’m trying to do that, but it kind of seems like you want nothing to do with me,”

“Well, I don’t, in fact I think it’s better if you just kind of leave me alone for now,”

“Sure, but first, can you explain to me why you said you wanted to start fresh if what you meant was you wanted me to leave you alone?”

“Because I thought that would get you off my back, but I regret saying it now. I’m going to go get some punch now,” he said, getting up and walking straight past the punch bowl and out the door.

I stood there shocked for a second. Hurt and shocked. I had done nothing to deserve this. I was so excited that we were on good terms finally. He was being a complete a**, but I couldn’t help but love him anyway. I decided I would do what he asked. I would stay away for a while, until he got over whatever the h*** was wrong with him, but in that moment I found myself with a distinct hatred for one thing. Indigo.