Gymnastics: My Natural High | Teen Ink

Gymnastics: My Natural High

October 10, 2015
By reshmijpatel6 GOLD, Katy, Texas
reshmijpatel6 GOLD, Katy, Texas
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

According to a study of over ten thousand teens between the ages of 13 to 18, published in the Archives of General Psychiatry in April 2012, “78 percent of U.S. teens have drank alcohol, and 47 percent of the group said they'd consumed 12 or more drinks in the past year… 81 percent of teens said they had the opportunity to use illicit substances, [and] 42.5 percent actually tried them.” These appalling statistics reveal that almost half of U.S. adolescents rely on alcohol or drugs for happiness, to relieve stress, or to fit in. These temporary highs may alleviate short-term pain, but the long-term consequences of addiction, injuries, and health issues are far more harmful. This is why every person should find a natural high. Whether it is a sport, hobby, or art, a natural high is essential to guide you through the inevitable ups and downs of life.

My name is Reshmi Patel and my natural high is gymnastics. I was exposed to gymnastics as a toddler and loved it from the start. Over the years, I have enjoyed and still enjoy many sports: soccer, skiing, cross-country, swimming, tennis, but gymnastics is in a class of its own. I recall practicing cartwheels and handstands, looking across the gym to see older girls and boys flipping through the air. I remember thinking, someday I will be able to do that too. On my eighth birthday, I received my very own set of gymnastics mats. I was so excited; now I could practice my aerials at the gym and at home. Year after year, I moved up levels, learned new routines, and found thrill and gratification every step of the way. But not only did I love the sport; it also began to become a stress reliever and place of happiness, where I was only focused on the excitement of achieving my next skill, the rush of finishing a big performance. Gymnastics became my natural high. As everything wonderful in life, the journey has not been without disappointment and failure. However, overcoming those obstacles is just part of the experience.

I auditioned for and joined the Showteam of Houston in sixth grade and this is now my fourth year. This unique team has not only made be a better gymnast, but a better person as well. Through intense practices, community service, and team bonding, I have gained new friends, focused on responsibility and leadership, and most of all, still have a place to go and give it my all at the end of a hectic day. As with any sport, there are good days and bad days, but through all of these my love for the sport remains constant. Each step of my journey through gymnastics has shaped me in some way and those memories will stay with me for the remainder of my life.

Over the years, inspiration has come in various forms. From watching other athletes in my gym and at competitions, to the Olympics every four years, I have been amazed and motivated in so many different ways. There have been many instances where I have seen another gymnast execute a skill and have been determined to learn how to do it. But, one of my greatest inspirations came from my first coach, April Sawyer. Through years of hard work, Coach April built a Special Olympics program so children with mental disabilities and special needs can experience the joy of gymnastics. Recently, I have had the opportunity to inspire other children to live naturally high lives by volunteering at Showcase Gymnastics in Coach April’s Special Olympics program. I have been able to fully appreciate the impact gymnastics has had on the lives of these children. Depression is a common symptom of both Down's syndrome and autism, the disorders that most of these children live with. But, at practices and meets, they are bursting with energy, ready for their turn to perform. One girl in particular, Miriam, is another inspiration. Not only has she found a way live a happy, naturally high life, but she also makes time for others. She encourages her teammates when they have trouble and is the loudest to cheer when they achieve something new. Additionally, Miriam invented a piece of equipment that enables another child, who has trouble walking, to practice on the balance beam.

I discovered my natural high at a young age and through continual support from my friends and family, my grandparents, aunts and uncles, and especially my mom, dad, and brothers, I have been able to succeed and grow as a gymnast and as a person. I truly believe that every person can find a passion, and only by continuing to search and pursuing what you love can you live a drug-free, naturally high lifestyle.