Defining Ourselves | Teen Ink

Defining Ourselves

By SamJay BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey
SamJay BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey

What happens when you do something without thinking of the consequences?

people say that you will eventually pay the price, but what if you somehow manage to bypass that. Would you consider yourself lucky or unlucky? Now people would question you if you ever asked that because let’s face it, people don't do certain things because they're afraid of the consequences, but without it they're free to do whatever they want.

Without fear of something bad happening, even the best person in the world might do the wrong things. Everyone has a dark side, some have more compassion or a better control of themselves. People need limits to control themselves because as the saying goes we are just human. Without the consequences we wouldn’t be the people we are today. The things that have happened to us shape us into to who we are today. People are always changing  and  being molded into the shape that fits us the best. When people say that it was supposed to happen and you couldn't change it, they are right, what is meant to happen, will happen and there is no point in crying over spilt milk, though we are just humans. Ever heard or read that saying, it means that we're human and we all make mistakes. The mistakes can cause consequences and what we do with them defines us.

We are not defined by the mistakes we make but the actions we take after that. While people may say that it doesn't matter what happened in the past, it does matter partly. It matters because the past we have affect us and change us to the person we see in the mirror and the person that people sees us as. while our past does have some say of what kind of person we are along with the people we are surrounded by, most are effected  by us ourselves. We decide how we want to be with the help of others and that the true beauty of it.

Even the most independent people are affected by the people we are surrounded by daily  and our pasts. Even when people say that the past doesn't matter, it should matter in some points. You can't have a person without a past because than you are just a void filling up space without out any past memories or emotions to make up the amazing person you are today. Your past affects the way you walk, they way you talk or act or do anything because you have had experienced this before and know how to act independently without the help of others. The past and our mistakes and consequences, along with the people we surround ourselves with make up the person we see everyday in the mirror.

This came to me when I was in my room, I just had to write it.