Father's Day | Teen Ink

Father's Day

By ainzulaikha PLATINUM, Johor, Other
ainzulaikha PLATINUM, Johor, Other

On the 20th of April 1999, I was born into this crazy world. The first person I opened my eyes to was obviously the doctor. But then, there’s the mother. She was just wonderful. All sweaty and tired, clear drops of water running down her pale face, she held me close. Then there was the father. He picked me up and I heard his voice, singing me the beautiful music of azan. My heartbeat went calm and slow and he was there to keep me safe. He’ll stay. He won’t leave.

When I was a mischievous nasty beasty looking 5 year old, he still took me in as his daughter. Maybe? He provided my family, and I included, with a ton of such amazing memories. None to be forgotten and all to be cherished. I still remember the ‘two bags for school a year’ rule just because I couldn’t take care of my bag. He never failed to provide me with purple or blue bags that I really needed for school. Not to forget about all those shoes, for school, for vacations, for the beach, for just fooling around and everything else. He’s caring. He’s my savior.

At the age of 13, I got myself into the country’s most terrifying school, but I didn’t know that until I became a permanent student there. He was afraid. He didn’t want to let me go. He was scared I might not survive boarding school. I knew that. His eyes were worried but his smile showed me otherwise. His visits with my mother kept me strong. I still remember all the weeks they have sacrificed for me, all those tiring drives from Johor to Negeri Sembilan. My tears were nothing compared to theirs. Theirs were way more precious than mine. I didn’t want to be the cause of it, I still don’t. I tried hard to stay longer, to make them happier, and to make their sacrifices worth it. He never failed to give me motivating talks. He never failed to make me smile. He’s my strength. He’s my faith.
16 and all messed up. He’s still there to guide me through the rough roads of being a teenager. I failed to make them happy of my results. I failed to make them smile of my attitudes. I failed being a good daughter to such fantastic parents. But I’ll keep trying because they never lose faith in me. His faith in me, her slow talks that make me feel better; I will never let them go. I will keep trying and I will be better for them. They deserve the best, he deserves the best, and she deserves the best. They are my world. They are my everything.