The day I Almost Lost My Dad | Teen Ink

The day I Almost Lost My Dad

By DanielaEcatubig BRONZE, San Francisco, California
DanielaEcatubig BRONZE, San Francisco, California

The Day I almost lost my dad

It was a sunny Saturday morning, and my family, dog, and I were on our way to Russian River. After all the safety issues and concerns, my mom decided to choose river rafting out of all things. Isn’t that crazy? The woman who turns back to see if my brother and I had our seat belts on each and every second chooses river rafting out of all possible things. Although it may have seemed fascinating, I knew in my heart that something bad would  happen. But hey, If my mom said it’s safe, why not? I mean why would she make us do something if she wasn’t sure what the outcome would be. As we got there I imagined it to be luminous, with just blue surrounding the sky. Instead I saw clouds enclosed like parents with their kids after they choose not to wash the dishes. There It was; rain, not the big drops of rain that would mend an ongoing drought, but drops as if someone you disliked were talking to you right in front of your face and spitting while doing it.

It was quite nerve-wracking knowing we would be white river rafting in this type of weather. However, we paid already and there was no turning back now, not even if we wanted to. But, what’s the worst that could happen, if we fell out we had life jackets. I mean they gave it that name for a reason right. Then it came to me, my dad. He can’t swim, not even if he tried. What would happen to him? What if he panics and drowns and were too late? What if there's no lifeguards near us whatsoever. What then? Then I saw elderly people and even babies entering boats, like it was nothing. It then came to my conclusion that how ever petrifying it may have seemed, that It should be safe and that this company knew what they were doing.

It was our turn to get onto the rusty old yellow rafting boats that nearly felt like it was sinking once a foot was even touched inside it. My mom, dad, and my dog all went in one raft, while My sister, brother, and I all went in another. We started rowing our way back, not clearly knowing what in the world we were doing. As frightening as it was,I actually felt like we were getting the hang of it. In fact, I felt like it was easy, that was until I came into contact with tree branches and strong currents. Just looking down and seeing how deep you were from the sea floor, gave me chills. Chills like when you miss that one little step while going down some stairs.

Moments later while things slowly settled down, my dog Frisco jumps out the raft. Not out of fright, or excitement, just for the fun of it. Seconds before I could even think or say anything I see my dad get up, and yell out for him to come back. It wasn't till then that he lost his balance and fell in. His whole body was underneath the water and all you could see was the bright orange life vest, which were supposedly meant to save you from drowning. Our  sentiments at that very moment were indescribable, It was to a point where I thought I'd lose my father, my best friend, my hero. I could see the look on his face, when he panicked and didn't know what to do and to top it all off he has asthma. My mom jumps in, but the raft swifty drifts away, and one of the handling paddles is swept away by the enormous amount of currents. Briefly after my mom is able to get my dad and Frisco back to the raft. Frisco on the raft, while both my parents held on to each sides of it. This was because if we bumped into a current we would be stuck. Minutes after, the powerful current that was nearby took my parents, and dog to a nearby tree branch which contained land. Where they held on. Then it was our turn, My siblings and I, were frightened, afraid, words can't explain what we felt. We paddled through the current to the branch where my parents where at and held onto their boat. My mom got off with both my brother and sister and went onto the area of land, and held onto the boat wishing to pull it onto the land. My dad and I were still in the water holding onto the branch making sure the rafts would sail away. As my mom, and siblings pulled us in, the look on our faces when we finally got onto land, we were like dogs when they receive a treat for being obedient.

The tears coming down from all of my families faces made me realize how lucky I was to have each of them breathing, and with me. We left the rafts, and took our belongings and headed off to who knows where. Without our phones we had absolutely no contact for help, we yelled, we screamed. But nothing. We didn't know where to go or what direction to head to. We walked around for nearly two hours straight searching for help, up and down hills. Without any food, or cell-phones. We were stranded. It was moments later when My sister and I found a construction site, and nearly half way we saw a car pull into the garage. As happy as we were we ran, like we were running a marathon and found the person who was riding a vehicle and explained everything that happened. He was so understanding about the situation and decided to drive us all the way back to the parking lot, without any hesitation. My family and I were so grateful because we wouldn't have known where we would end up And even know how long we would be stranded for.
It was such a relief knowing that my dad, and most of all everyone in my family was okay. It wasn't easy watching your own dad nearly drown, and panic. But what I did know was that with God's strength nothing was impossible as long as we had faith. In Philippians 4:13 it states "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." This is important because we need to take advantage of what God gives us, we can't let trials and tribulations get the best of us. Therefore, I've learned not to take life for granted and to push through no matter how many obstacles you face, because that's what counts. But what I've also learned is to make sure to check up with my mother before she plans on taking us somewhere else.