Babysitiing | Teen Ink

Babysitiing

May 19, 2015
By Gregory Ambriz BRONZE, San Pedro, California
Gregory Ambriz BRONZE, San Pedro, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was one, cloudy, afternoon where I got a call. I had no idea where it was coming from, or who was calling me. The question is, how did they get my number? I stopped what I was doing which was taking a nap, and I answered the phone . I said, “Hello?” The signal on the other end of the person that was calling me was pretty bad, I could barely hear him, or her. They wanted me to babysit, I was really dumbfounded, you should have seen the facial expressions I created when I heard that. First, of all, I really hate kids, so, this was the job I did not want any part of doing, they said they would pay me at least $10 an hour, I said, “ok.” I walked over to the house I was supposed to be babysitting, surprisingly it was pretty close, and it was about a 10 minute walk. I walked inside of the house I was supposed to be babysitting, and the mother looked like she was rushing to get out that house. I did not even get the chance to say bye, or what she had to say what I had to do with these kids, she just ran out the door. I walked in the house more, and the house  looked like a tornado had hit inside of it, there was things everywhere, from toys, to blankets, to pillows, to chairs to even food. What a mess this house was. I should have just said no to this I get paid more at my other job than this job. It was about 6’ o clock. So, I was going to put the kids to sleep by at least nine’ o clock. I glanced at the children, and I also saw that they were a filthy, dirty, mess. “This mom does not do her job”, I told myself. Theres only two of them, how hard can it be? I soon realized how hard it was too babysit these two kids, and thought of a plan to amuse them, or get them to calm down. I asked if any of them wanted to play twister, they both said,”yes”, enthusiastically. What a relief. I set the twister mat up for them, and me as well, because I guess I was going to play with them. I turned the arrow on the twister clock thingy, started off with “right foot on blue”. I turned it again, and next it was, “right hand on yellow”, yellow was way across the mat for me, of course it was. I reached out for the yellow dot, forgetting my hand still hurting and feeling the effects from the baseball game I had yesterday night. I did my best to ignore the pain. The kids already had their right hands on  yellow. I spun the twister clock again, and next it read right foot green, and put my right foot on green. I told myself in my head, this is getting really boring. The kids were acting right, for once. Next the twister clock thingy read, “left hand red”, of course there was no red on my side of the mat, I had to stretch all the way for the red circle with the left hand, which was two or 3 rows ahead of me, because the kids had their hands on the red circles right by me. Well, I spoke too soon, remember when I said these kids were acting right, well one of the kids got eliminated from twister because he fell, and could not reach the circle he was supposed to get. He kicked me in the place where you do not want to get kicked, or hit for that matter. “Alright, that was the last straw”, I told myself. I chased the kid, that started to run, as soon as I was going to get my hands  on him, the lights went out. Great, the mother could not pay her light bill either? I’m never babysitting again after this night, I never planned to babysit though anyway. I started looking for a flashlight in total darkness, I struggled finding one for about 15 minutes. I was shuffling through stuff, and could not find one in the pitch darkness. I yelled at the kids so they can hear me, “Hey, can someone get me a flashlight!” About a few seconds later, I had a flashlight, not with the help of the kids of course. I found one in the kitchen drawers. I turned it on, and started to look around the house, for some reason I just got really cold from out of nowhere. I looked around with the flashlight, and stepped on something, It was probably a toy, I was right, I started grimacing in pain, because the toy had really hurt my foot. I kicked the toy out the way in frustration, but ended up hurting my foot even more. I heard a door open, “that better not be the kids walking out the door” I told myself. I heard them screaming all of a sudden, well thank god they did not walk out the door, but why were they screaming? I ran to where they were screaming, I flashed the light at what they were screaming at, and it was a manakin in the house they were screaming at. What is a manakin doing in the house? I walked out where they were screaming, and investigated why the door opened earlier, or maybe I was just hearing things. Maybe I heard the mother returning, I hope so, because I wanted to get out of here, like right now. It did not take long until I bumped into someone and quickly flashed the flashlight at their face. It was the mom, you would not believe the look on her face, it was filled with anger, I did not care, I was finally about to get out of that house. She told me, “ Why are the lights off?” I got smart with her and said, “Why didnt you pay your light bill?” I walked out the door, and was so excited I was finally about to get out of there. I am never babysitting again.


The author's comments:

One day I had an guided imagery assingment to do in creative writing, and I did to about a babysitting story I expierenced, which I will never end up doing again.