Changing A Life | Teen Ink

Changing A Life

By Catness BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
Catness BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you-Dr. Seuss

It was a warm sunny day in July as Faith Richards walked towards the huge white courthouse and towards the new life she might have in a couple hours or even less than that if she won this case.  As she got closer to the building she gripped the beige folder that held the very important files that would help her get custody of a wonderful little girl.  She was confident that she could win this court case but it still didn't comfort her enough to get the uneasiness she had in her to disappear.  She continued up the white stairs to the room that would be holding the case and waited inside for the judge to come into the court.  Faith didn't have to wait for long for the judge to come in the room.

“You may all sit down” the judge said as he too sat down.  Faith and all the others in the courtroom sat down quietly and waited for the judge to start talking about the case.  They all waited for a long time until the judge finally looked up from the documents and asked for the documents from Faith.  She stood up and gave the very important documents to an officer which gave the documents to the judge.  The Judge looked at the documents for a long time before he looked up at Faith and asked what she want to happen, in her own words.  “I would like to have the guardianship over Celine A. Richards” she said as she stood straight up and stared at the judge directly in his eyes.  He nodded at what Faith told him and turned his head slightly towards the opposing side and asked for their side and what they wanted to happen.  They stated that Celine should stay with a relative until her mother come back from being in coma.  Faith butted in and told the judge that the only one that was currently taking care of Celine was her Grandmother, Faith’s younger sister, who died very recently.

The judge looked back to Faith and asked her why she would be the best person to care for Celine.  “I have enough experience for taking care of children, since I do have four son’s, that are grown-up, I have a house and I am able to buy her new clothes,food and schooling, and finally I do have enough experience with kids to take care of her and keep her health and safe” Faith stated to the court and waited for the judge to speak again.  Before he could the opposing side said that they didn't have the agreement for this guardianship from the parents and that she couldn't take Celine from them unless they had their permission.  Faith looked at the judge and told him that her mother was in coma and that she had a very low chance of surviving if she woke up.  “And what about the father of Celine” The judge asked in a low voice.  “He left her mother shortly after she was born, he hasn't came back ever since then” she replied to him as her eyes reflected sadness.  The judge nodded and stood up suddenly.  “I have to think about this for a couple of minutes before I can give a good answer to you all” turned around and left without another word.

The couple of minutes turned into an hour as Faith grew impatient as she waited for the judge to come back out and tell them what his answer was.  She thought about Celine and what she would do if she got guarding ship over her.  She grimaced as she thought about Celine’s current state of her hair and decide that the first thing she would be taking her was to a beauty salon.  Faith was about to decide which place they should go to get new clothes when loud whispering took her out of thought. She heard them whisper to each other about what would happen to Celine if she did go with Faith.  She over heard one of them saw to another one that her mother would be devastated to hear she lost custody of her own child.  Faith slowly thought about her words and spoke out loud.  “She will not be devastated to losing her custody on Celine, she might be devastated about not seeing her every day and watching her grow up.  But if I do get custody on her I will take Celine to her so she knows that her mother still loves her but is unwell to take care of her fully” Faith said and slowly turned her attention towards the door as the judge came out of the room.  Both sides looked at him as he sat back down on his chair and looked mainly at Faith.  “Faith Richards, will you please stand up so you can sign the papers?”

Faith walked out of the courthouse with mild surprisement on her face as she walked a couple block to the area where some of her family and her new child were waiting for her.  The first people that saw her ran to her and asked what happened and what the judge had to say.  She didn't say anything to anyone until she reached to a little girl that was playing in a red square that was a sandbox.  Faith saw that she was still wearing the same clothes from yesterday and the fact that her hair was a totally mess.  She stared at the little girl as she quietly played with the sand.  Suddenly a small bright red butterfly flew past the girl and she turned her head to watch it fly away.

Faith laughed when the little girl fully turned around and saw her.  “Moma!” the little girl cried out as she clumsy got to her feet and ran to Faith.  Faith laughed again as she hugged the girl tightly and lifted her slightly up towards the light but her second eldest son stopped her for the little girl was very heavy for Faith.  “Mom what happened?” one of her son’s asked as he picked up the little girl and held her close.  Faith smiled and pulled out a packet of paper and waved them in front of everyone that was around her.  “I am now the legal guardian of Celine, everyone” she stated to everyone and the whooped with glee, happiness and joy for what happened and for the little girls brand new life.  Faith looked down at the little girl and kneel down to look into her eyes.  “You are going to be living with me from now on, Celine”  She said and got a hug along with a huge smile in response from Celine. 

“That’s it!”Celine cried out in surprisement as she continued to get ready for bedtime.  Faith chuckled at the younger one’s respond as she helped her get her nightgown on the right way, instead of inside out.  “Yes Celine, that's it, that's how it happened when I got custody of you when you turned two years old” she said softly and motioned with her finger to have Celine come closer to her.  Celine slowly walked to Faith and suddenly screamed, in surprise, when Faith started to tickle her stomach and sides.  “Nana! please stop!” Celine screamed and tried to wiggle out of her grasp.  Faith smile and released her grip on the little one and gave her a crushing hug.  “I love you Celine” she quietly said.  “Me to Nana” Celine said and walked to her room, that was across the hallway.  Faith watched her walk away, close her door slightly, until she too got ready then went to bed and waited for her door to open and the sudden warmth from a small body, that always came after twelve o'clock at night, every night since she got her.

When one of my family member got me