The Golfer | Teen Ink

The Golfer

May 15, 2015
By Aaron24 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Aaron24 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you have never failed, you have never pushed yourself hard enough


The sun has not risen, the world is still asleep. The alarm goes off in a boy’s room, and a light flickers on. Groggy, sore, and wanting to go back to sleep he gets up and puts on some clothes. He sleep walks outside and begins his daily jog. Throughout his run, he thinks about his life.

He remembers the time he played in the Junior Masters, and being called up to the first tee. “Now on the tee, from Sussex, Wisconsin”, he doesn’t hear the rest as his heart pounds louder than the speaker. His anxiety levels begin to rise as he remembers piercing the tee into the ground. It felt as if the whole world was watching him, but one person settled him down. It was the same person who had been guiding him through his whole life, his father.

He looked back and saw his father for the first time in 3 weeks. Tears of joy streamed down his face as his father was everything to him. The memory fades and the boy stops jogging. He checks his watch and realizes he might miss the opportunity. He sprints back to his house exhausted, but doesn’t care. As he gets to the driveway, a car is driving down it. He stops the car and a man steps out, it’s his father.

The father walks to the boy and gives him a big hug, and says “I love you, and I’ll see you when I get back”. The boy watches the father drive away as it will be another 3 weeks until he sees him again.

He gets ready for the day and puts on his golf apparel. He drives to his next tournament and gets ready for the first tee. He gets called up and his heart pounds. His anxiety levels begin to rise, and he pierces the tee into the ground. The boy looks back hoping to see his father supporting him, no father in sight. He lines up for the tee shot, swings, and picks up his golf bag. As he walks away from the first tee, it feels as if he walks away from his father.