Treasure of Waukesha | Teen Ink

Treasure of Waukesha

April 24, 2015
By 6dahms BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
6dahms BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The party Lake, a fishing hotspot, and a  prime historical spot in the center of Waukesha County; Okauchee. In the 1930’s, Okauchee lake and other lakes around the area were the perfect spots for gangsters --Baby Face Nelson, Bugs Moran, John Dillinger, and Al Capone--to come up from  Chicago and vacation from their lives of bootlegging and robbing banks.


Some of them stayed in hotels or even owned houses on the lake that they could operate their “business’’ from. Al Capone owned a house on Bluemound road and operated a bootlegging operation from the alcohol still in the basement. Also there are reports of Chicago gangsters coming up to lake country resorts and speakeasies to take a load off from dodging law enforcement and rival gangs.

It’s amazing how much history has gone into just one area that a community has barely tapped into. Okauchee lake is a place where gangsters and mobsters went to vacation and is also a place where my friends and family go to fish and boat around during the summer.

Waukesha county has so many things to offer aside from a great  community; Among the exciting attractions it offers; Waukesha county also is home to various lakes like Okauchee Lake. Okauchee is a party lake, a fishing hotspot, and a prime historical spot.  The village of  Okauchee and Okauchee lake are truly a treasure of Waukesha county.