Treasure from Mother Nature | Teen Ink

Treasure from Mother Nature

By Samantha Dunn SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Samantha Dunn SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

“One more step!” Brianna, my best friend, says as we ascend to the top.

I instantly go to the side of the railing, gazing at the world below. Forty-five feet above the brown soil is a completely new perspective. We gaze at the alluring, color-changing leaves from the observation tower.

Lapham Peak is located in Waukesha County. It is the highest point in the county, at an astonishing 1,233 feet above sea level. Its breath-taking views and squirrel-hunting nature trails make this a beautiful place to go and relax.

Today, the world is filled with carbon dioxide and buildings that touch the clouds. While these buildings may be quite unbelievable, they are nothing compared to Lapham Peak.

Climbing to the top of the observation tower and spending the day at a magical place seems to be the top of the world, until the sun falls through the ground is magical.

Traveling through the tree-filled park reminds me of my childhood--running around the leafy world with no cares except for one: finding the perfect hiding spot for a amusing game of hide-n’-seek.

Taking one more step, reaching to the top of the observation tower,  just as the sun is setting is the best step a person could ever take. That sigh of relief knowing the day was over and that I had spent the last of it exploring the world and seeing it from a bird’s eye view is incredible. It’s definitely a treasure that will last a lifetime.