Treasure | Teen Ink

Treasure

By maggie1214 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
maggie1214 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Driving down windy roads, with no surroundings except trees and corn fields, I discovered an enchanting building--the YMCA in Pabst Farms.  The outside is filled with kids, a tempting playset, and fields with my favorite sports being played.  But what caught my eyes most was the big blue slide peaking out from the thick concrete walls.  Ten years old, begging to go inside, my father and I walked through the glass doors. I thought I was in heaven.  From this day on, I knew the Y was not only an enjoyable place, but also a treasure of Waukesha County.

Located in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, is a comfortable, caring, and captivating enchantment.  It’s a place where parents drop off their kids knowing they will beam with happiness. It’s a place where people workout after a stressful day at work. And it’s a place where people feel at home.

The YMCA in Pabst Farms has a powerful mission--“To put Christian principles into practice through programs that help healthy spirit, mind and body for all.”  Everytime I go to the Y, I see every employee's beaming face and I experience kindness through the building. The YMCA truly does exist for their mission. 

Waukesha County has molded and shaped me to the person I am today.  My kind heart and healthy spirit are things I have thanks to the Y.   I can gladly thank the YMCA for partaking and creating memories…the Y is a true treasure.