The Heart of Europe | Teen Ink

The Heart of Europe

April 15, 2015
By Raindrop563 SILVER, Levelland, Texas
Raindrop563 SILVER, Levelland, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My experience in Budapest, Hungary lasted a mere day,  hardly enough time in traveling terms to truly see the city in all its glory, but even in those few hours I found myself overwhelmed by the timeless beauty and grace of the city. When many consider venturing into large cities in Europe, their first considerations are London and Paris simply because they are the most well-known for culture and the arts and boast a large tourist interest. Thus the gem that is Budapest is often overlooked, often because people tend to associate it with its indulgent reputation and encouragement of a hedonistic lifestyle. Whether that is true or not, I cannot say, only that in the moments that my eyes withheld the city, they were struck by its incredible gift to fuse together the old and the new. Within its borders, Budapest creates an entirely different generation between old and young, a link between two worlds.


Budapest greeted me with rain when I stepped into its streets, armed with only a light sweater and a thirst for adventure. The first thing you notice when you drive along the streets of any Eastern Europe city is that people lack a bit of patience. While an American driver may be content to wait for you to cross the road when it is your time to cross, there are few stop lights as we know them in these cities. An European driver is simply not allowed to continue driving until you cross, and if they can tell that you are tourists, they will do everything in their power to remind you that in this city you must move faster. Needless to say, I found myself sprinting across the busy streets often.


Once I was clear of the heavy traffic I began to truly take in the city at full view. The area I saw first was a shopping hub of sorts, made specifically for citizen and tourist shopping alike. Buildings that had clearly been there for at least a century were converted into gift shops and high fashion clothing stores, with the remnants of the past occupying the three to five stories above. There were no new buildings in this part of the city. It seemed that the inhabitants of Budapest did not see why anything useful had to be destroyed, when it could just as easily be reinforced and converted. Statues and fountains dotted the courtyards, and closer inspection revealed that these pieces of art both ancient and new were kept clean and in good condition demonstrating the amount of respect these Budapest citizens had for their city.


The Great Market Hall soon became my next destination. The Market Hall itself was constructed at the end of the 19th century in 1897, bringing in the dawn of the 20th century with its trade. The stalls on the ground floor of the hall are mostly for grocer purposes becoming the Hungarian equivalent of a Walmart. Each vendor, of course specializes in a different type of product: meat, bread, liquor, vegetables, fruits, spices, cheeses, etc. Some vendors sell cheaper than others and there was a sense of stiff competition. The upper levels cater to tourism, with stalls providing all sorts of souvenirs for visitors and eateries for quick meals. I did not stay overly long here, as there was a greater destination in mind: The Chain Bridge.


There are several bridges in Budapest that extend over the Danube river, connecting the Buda side of the city to the Pest side, and of course creating what we now know as Budapest. There are the Elisabeth Bridge, the Liberty Bridge, and the Megyeri Bridge, the Petofi Bridge, and the Lagymanyosi Bridge. The most notable of these bridges however, is the Chain Bridge, which provides an extraordinary view of the Danube and the various important buildings around it. From here Gellért Hill can be seen overlooking the citadel; the Citadel at the top. The hill is named after St. Gerard who is said to have died after being put into a barrel and rolled down the hill during the pagan rebellion of 1046. Many variations of the tale exist, but the most accepted is that nails were also pounded into the barrel after the bishop was shoved inside resulting in a most gruesome death for the Saint. The fate of St. Gerard is remembered by all citizens of Budapest and many salute his testament of faith.


I dined at a traditional Hungarian restaurant before heading back to the hotel to prepare for the final leg of my short journey through Budapest. The group I was with had booked a river tour that would take us up the Danube River for a closer look at Budapest’s historical landmarks. The rain was still pouring by the time we boarded the boat. The lower deck offered warm air and an audio-guided tour. But a brave few, myself included, gathered our umbrellas and courage and ventured to the top deck for a full view of these landmarks, unobstructed by the glass of the windows. At night, modern lighting and spotlights brought full attention to buildings and monuments that have stood for centuries. But the Chain Bridge proved to be the most spectacularly lit. Simultaneously it served as a pathway for cars, and a lighthouse for boats traversing the Danube. It was a true symbol of the connection between Buda and Pest; The old and the new.


I ended the day with a visit to the Lions’ Fountain in Vörösmarty Square. The fountain, according to the locals, will bring good luck to all those who drank its waters. Without hesitation, I cupped my hands and captured the water in my hands and drank, wishing that good luck would bring me to Budapest once more.