To Know Compassion | Teen Ink

To Know Compassion

By lil.awol ELITE, Independence, Missouri
lil.awol ELITE, Independence, Missouri

"there's a darkness upon me that's flooded in light, and i'm frightened by those that don't see it" ~the avett brothers, head full of doubt

Throughout my time working in nursing I've always noticed the connection these elderly women have with motherhood. Whether it be them searching for their mother and worrying about them wondering where they are or when they're coming home, or whether it be them looking for their children and constantly asking when they're coming to see them.  The other day I had a very precious moments with one of my residents.  As I was helping her get ready for bed, she asked me, "Do you have any children, or I don't know if you're even old enough to have children."  I said "Well yes, I am." I told her that I had been pregnant, but I actually miscarried. She stopped what she was doing, looked me in the face and said, "Oh, I'm sorry."  And I marveled at that moment, because she was very anxious at the time and was obsessing over every little detail.  So for her to completely stop to acknowledge my pain was a miracle in itself. She continued on by asking me what I did.  To which my reply was, "Well, I cried a lot, then I got up, and I went on living."  She then said, "Well, sometimes that's what you have to do."  Mind you, this woman is nearly ninety years old and was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.  This is purely why I love the nursing job: you have that raw emotional connection with people. Because no matter how upset they are, even when they don't know their own name, they can have compassion and empathy for you.  They can realize the pain of losing a child.