Friday, March 27, 2015 4:01 p.m. | Teen Ink

Friday, March 27, 2015 4:01 p.m.

By alme3 DIAMOND, Double Oak, Texas
alme3 DIAMOND, Double Oak, Texas

"Love is friendship set on fire." -Jeremy Taylor

I'm sitting on the couch, watching my mom. She's looking down at her phone, her lips pursed and her eyes narrowed, but I know it's not the phone she's concentrating on.

It's my sister.

It's my sister that's been on her mind. The sister who never said thanks to my mom for the $400 she spent on Fall Out Boy tickets. The sister who never said thanks for the $80 Fray tickets. Who glares at everyone, especially my mom. Who looks at my dad as if he's just some dumb, conservative redneck, even though he's the one paying for her food and home. Who, whenever my mom offers help, just sighs and ignores her. Who leaves cups, gum, tissues and all her other stuff everywhere for my mom to pick up. Who throws a plastic bag full of new clothes on the ground as if she doesn't care that my mom just spent almost $200 on her. Who won't wear those clothes anyway. Who looks at my mom as if she wants her to explode.

It pains me to see my mom so sad. So hurt. So upset. It pains me to watch her face as she's ignored, to listen to her obsess over what she's doing wrong, to see her tears as she tries to understand why her daughter is being so mean to her.

It's not your fault, I want to say. You're not doing anything wrong. I don't know why she's acting this way. Please don't cry.

It makes me want to scream. I want to yell at my sister. Look what you're doing to her! Look at how you're making mom feel! Stop! STOP! STOP BEING SUCH AN INGRATE!!!

I can't watch my mom cry anymore. I can't take it. She's done nothing wrong. She's been the best mom anyone could ever ask for. I wish I could make her believe it. And I wish my sister would actually make her feel like she's loved. But she just won't.

A journal entry