Unacceptable Norm | Teen Ink

Unacceptable Norm

March 25, 2015
By Hasken14 BRONZE, Sabula, Iowa
Hasken14 BRONZE, Sabula, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


A bully is a person a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people (“Bully”). They are the opposite of a close friend, or someone that brings you up. A bully means someone who is living a life getting joy from watching others suffer from the words and actions being done. This can be portrayed in many different ways now these days. A bully can hide behind many different masks that have taken over our generation and do even more damage than they were capable of before. They are a tough antagonizer. A monster, a destroyer of life, a tyrant.  A bully is a creator, a creator of a life full of lies, sleepless nights of horrid thoughts, and overall, your real life nightmare.
A bully is a creator of a lie. A lie multiplies like a swarm of wasps you are trying to desperately run away from until it has taken over your whole life surrounding you. A bully is the sad reality you tell someone you are okay when really, all you want to do is burst into tears when nobody is watching. Let me tell you a little bit of how my lies started. Bullies are tormentors that show up everywhere including school, social media, work, etc. They are not a person that has feelings. Bullies are the master creators of sadness and hurt that slowly builds up inside of you. A bully comes into your life acting as though they are someone that cares, when in reality they don’t care at all. When I was about to hit a breakdown from the messages I was sent, I became an artist, an artist that painted a smile and the look of happiness over top of my depression and misery. I lied when I was asked if I was okay. I lied when I was asked if I had plans. One night I got ditched and it was only nine o’clock at night. I originally was to stay night at a friend’s house but that didn’t happen. A bully was the reason I drove around until curfew and lied to my parents that I just wanted to come home instead of stay out. A bully is the reason I got accused of lying about being where I was because I have no life and in reality I was out by myself and not with anyone else. A bully is the reason others around me skip school. The reason they get into drugs as well as the wrong crowd. A bully is not someone that helps you strive for great things in life. They are the reason people keep to themselves inside of school and rarely go out at night with others. A bully is the reason everyone around you disappears and you become invisible to the people that once had surrounded you with friendships and trust.
Horrid thoughts appear in sleepless nights created by a hector, an intimidator, a bully. Being the first to go to bed in my house is my best bet, even if it is at 8 o’clock at night. A bully is the reason I leave my television on all night so that I don’t start thinking to myself. The reason I sleep with a baseball bat under my pillow and remember what the code to the gun safe is so that I feel safe. A bully is why I hate lying in bed thinking about having to go to school again tomorrow. Not going and all of a sudden coming down with the flu would be so much better. They are the reason I lay on my back replaying the words they said to me, picturing the messages sent to me, and the locker I was pushed into on “accident”. A bully is the reason I am viewed as a bad person and looked down on from everyone else that thinks they know me. I lay in bed wishing sometimes I didn’t have to be here. If only I could move away to start over, and have a fresh start. They are the reason I lay down pulling the blankets up over top of my head tucking it snuggly under me, leaving just enough open for me to breathe. Feeling protected and invisible to my surroundings the tears that have built up throughout one day alone creep out from my eyes and create a never-ending stream down my face. A bully is why dreams stop happening and nights become the worst place to possibly be.
Nightmares and thoughts of the late night coming to life are all thanks to the job of a bully. They are a creator of frustration and loneliness in one’s life. A bully is why I walk the halls alone. The reason I feel as though I am being watched and monitored by hidden eyes around me. A bully is the cause of my classes getting changed to try to help the situation. A bully is the reason I am depressed and always want to be left alone.  The reason I sit by myself and listen to them talk about me in their group huddle around the corner. A bully is a terrorizing monster that crushes one and makes them feel as though they are dwindling down to nothing.  They are the reason people start to wear long sleeves and baggy clothes while spending all of their spare time locked in their bedroom. A bully is why cut marks become scars and battle wounds on one’s body. It is the outcome of long letters written to love one’s explaining the pain and misery that they suffered. A bully is why blood runs down the drains or too many pills are taken to ease the suffering. A bully is the reason children die before their parents, the opposite of how it should be. They are the reason life is not lived out to its fullest and why families and friends grieve. A bully is the cause of suicide. A bully is a murderer.
A bully can be called many different things but that doesn’t change what they are. They change your life forever leading you to lie about things in your life, making your nights miserable, and making your days even worse. A bully haunts you. They leave scars whether they be visible or not to the naked eye. Do you consider yourself a bully? If you answered yes then answer this question. Do you want to be considered a killer, a murderer of someone innocent that was a random target? In my mind you didn’t do the actual stabbing or cutting, but you pushed that person to that point. A bully gets joy and happiness from watching one suffer. Whether it is over messaging, social media, snapchat, in person, or even all of them, it is completely wrong to do. A bully creates a killer storm, one that not all are strong enough to make it through but you have to push with all of your power to get through it.