Teacup | Teen Ink

Teacup MAG

By vamika_s PLATINUM, Gaborone, Other
vamika_s PLATINUM, Gaborone, Other

"Colour my life with the chaos of trouble"

Your voice is a warm sip of hot tea with a shot of honey. Scalding. Pleasantly runny. Each syllable drips into a cadence of chamomile flavor.

Wait. That’s a little too romantic, is it not?

Did I mention, though, that your nervous coughs and chuckles are the throaty mish-mash of tea leaves at the bottom of the cup? And your laugh – well, it’s the ripple of honey I want to hold eternally on my tongue. Forever. Like the kind of sweetness a spontaneous sip does not do justice to.

What else? I hate it when you argue. Every rebuttal, every “last word,” brims over out of your mouth, overbrewed and stinging. Did you know that? Your vowels are angry drops of antiquated imports. Too bitter, too strong. You disagree with me, and it’s the clinking and clanging of the teaspoon against the teacup.

And then we make up.

Your porcelain breath mingles with mine and a luscious warmth leaks across my lips once more. I can’t help it; my mind draws out fire with every delectable, dialectal drink of you.

I shouldn’t talk like this.

It’s funny when you put on accents, like a posh Londoner’s. It always reminds me of the brightly colored tea boxes at the corner store bearing labels like Peach Rhubarb. And when you hum to me, your attempt to soothe is a medicinal concoction for the bad aftertaste of a math test or a rude remark.

And I do, I do love it when you read to me. The poetry’s always like measured spoonfuls of sugar into a slow-boiling pot. The prose, on the contrary, spills out too fast and too hot, splashing me sometimes and staining my thoughts. Yet, you always infuse the literature with a cherry-colored sultriness that’s inexplicable. And the scary stories, the fairy tales, they glisten as fresh inflections pour out of your mouth. Do they not?

Now, I told myself I would save the best for last. Here, the cream flourish to this tea-tarnished note; the final splatter of vanilla (you know that’s my favorite flavor).

Your voice, thick and soft and slept-in, on the phone at 4 in the morning. So, so rough and so, so warm; the first sip, the best sip, the one I want to taste now and tomorrow.

Did I mention that drinking tea is one of my greatest loves? 

on Nov. 1 2015 at 6:35 am
vamika_s PLATINUM, Gaborone, Other

Oh my, such lavish praise! Thank you so much :)

SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
This is a wonderful piece. Your writing is so musical, so romantic, and I just want to drink up the metaphoracle tea:) great job, absolutely stunning

HammadWaseem said...
on Apr. 5 2015 at 10:22 am
HammadWaseem, Lahore, Other

Be proud of who you are.
-Eminem

You can't see me
-John Cena

Ooh, somebody stop me!
-Mask

Thats truly amazing! @vamika_s :) will you check and comment on my work? TeenInk.com/video/dancing/114206/The-Unbeatable-Breakdancer

on Mar. 24 2015 at 9:30 am
vamika_s PLATINUM, Gaborone, Other

Yay yay yay I'm so glad you love it! Thank you for letting me know :)

on Mar. 24 2015 at 9:29 am
vamika_s PLATINUM, Gaborone, Other

Your comment sounded really pleasant! Thank you :)

on Mar. 24 2015 at 9:28 am
vamika_s PLATINUM, Gaborone, Other

I love that you're dropping lovely comments on a few of my pieces. I really appreciate it. And your feedback is so, so, so heartwarming. Thank you so much for making my day!

on Mar. 24 2015 at 9:26 am
vamika_s PLATINUM, Gaborone, Other

Thank you so much!

on Mar. 24 2015 at 9:25 am
vamika_s PLATINUM, Gaborone, Other

Thank you! And I fully intend to :)

LillianAB SILVER, Sisters, Oregon, Oregon

"I had bad days!"- John Watson Sherlock BBC

I really like how you used the imagery, it tasted like tea almost. Keep writing!

PianoKeys97 PLATINUM, Medford, New Jersey

"You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches." -Dita Von Teese

Creative, artistic, and smooth. All of your ideas connect and flow so coherently. Reading it in itself reminds me of pouring honey out of a jar. I love your unique style and how you connected everything about tea, one of my favorite things, with someone you love. Extremely well-developed and well-written. Never stop writing.

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

Exquisite, artistic, untouchable. The imagery and the alliteration are mouth-watering... literally! Your writing has a finesse all of its own; I feel privileged to have read this.

NonchalantDante GOLD, Baltimore, Maryland

"Beauty does not induce enough pain for a poem" -Ray-yo

Ooh, that sounded really pleasant. I love the way you played with the language to contrast smoothness and discord. Nice!

on Mar. 22 2015 at 3:26 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

This is so creative! And utterly artistic, too. Loved it from top to bottom, you absolutely blew me away, Vamika!