The Best Friend I Never Had | Teen Ink

The Best Friend I Never Had

March 3, 2015
By AdeleandLoriforever SILVER, Brecksville, Ohio
AdeleandLoriforever SILVER, Brecksville, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
The good thing about bad days is they only last 24 hours. <3


  I walked home from the bus stop in silence. The silence scared me it reminded me of the truth that I was alone. Earlier that day I had experienced the unimaginable, loosing someone you loved not by death but by betrayal. I was 13 years old and I had known him for about 3 years. He was my best friend and I loved him, I could only see us being friends forever. I secretly had a crush on him and I think he knew so but what he did earlier that day sent me spiraling into a black whole of depression.


  It was lunch time at my school and I sat down at my usual table with my friends. Jay leaned over to me and asked if we could talk. Well of course I assumed it was about homework or something so I agreed and he stood up in front of all my friends and he gave me a piece of paper. My friends all wanted me to read it aloud but I decided not too when I saw his face; he was blushing. I read the note in my head. It said how much he liked me and how I was so beautiful. For a self conscious teenager girl like me that felt so amazing to hear. You can only imagine what a girl would be feeling to hear that. It's something amazing and I felt truly happy. Then he walked over to his girlfriend named Alice who had been bullying me for a very long time, she was just a very cruel person who I tried to feel sorry for but was starting to fail at. He broke up with her and at that point I wanted to rub it in her face so badly but I decided she wasn't worth a single word of hatred so I told her I was sorry. Alice lashed out at me she said some really mean things but I stayed kind to her for I didn't know why she acted that way. Then Jay went and stood next to her smiling. Then they started laughing at me and said April Fools. It was not even April Fools and I will never understand why they thought that was a funny joke. Or if they thought it was funny at all. All my friends started laughing at me even though I was crying. Tears streamed down my face. My cheeks burned so I took off running to the bathroom. I screamed at them to stop following me! She said no I can go wherever I want.


   I was too afraid of Jay hating me so I didn't go to the office. I was completely broken and that incident drove me to therapy. Later on I went to the office for other things that she did to me which included punching me, calling me bad things, bullying me period. The office did nothing and I continued to be bullied. I never truly forgave him and I will never be able to forgive her but I want bullying to stop. If you see someone getting bullied stand up and say something for if you don't you are just as bad as the bully. Everyone is going to get bullied sometime in their life so please don't be silent. If you won't speak up for yourself because you are afraid then speak up for your future children because I promise you if we don't do something now it will be just as bad in the future. Life will go on for some, and not for others.


The author's comments:

 I was inspired to write this piece and share the pain that I felt so if anyone is going through something similar they know that they are not alone. I felt so alone and abandoned when I lost my best friend but it made me a stronger person. I want to make a difference and help people. I also want to teach kids that its not tattle tailing if the other person is hurting you mentally or physically. You may not realize this but if you tell someone you could be saving a life. Stand up for yourself and be the amazing strong person that I know you too be?