First Job | Teen Ink

First Job

By Alec Sanderson BRONZE, Smithfield, Rhode Island
Alec Sanderson BRONZE, Smithfield, Rhode Island

There is an event that has shaped me toward adulthood and that is getting my first job.  This may seem an unlikely event but as I reflect I realize that everything I have done to date whether it be school, sports and volunteer activities is a step in the preparation for my job and career.   A first job is the natural progression from childhood to adulthood and part of my transition into my chosen career.
As I sought my first job I realized that the competition for employment is fierce. I utilized several sources to find companies that were hiring.  I searched online, talked with my parents and friends and even drove through my town looking for businesses that were hiring.  I soon realized for several reasons that my search was not going to be easy.  I live in a state with one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.  I did not have any experience and I was competing for positions against individuals who were twice my age who had many years of professional job experience.  The job search made me think of what it must be like for an adult to be in competition with teenagers for a job. I was fortunate enough to have my parents provide me a place to live, food, and money.  I wondered what it might be like for an adult searching for a job who had a family to support and bills to pay.  I was beginning to understand why a job is so important.
I was lucky enough to find a job working at a small family owned local drive-in restaurant.  I would be working the fryer and grille.  I didn’t have any experience but I was eager to learn. There was so much to learn.  There are rules to follow, just like in school.  I had to learn to make the food and package the orders.  I also had to learn quickly when the food was ready and balance the multiple orders.   As the summer went on there were times when I was the only person working the grille.   I needed to be aware of food safety handling laws especially when handling raw meats.  I was also taught how to clean properly.  Being one the newer employees I had the task of washing the floor mats and cleaning the grease trap.  I learned very quickly that although I liked to work I knew that I wanted to further my education in order to land a better job.  After a few weeks of work, I was excited to receive my first paycheck. However my excitement was a little short lived.  I was thrilled to have money but I did not realize that I would have taxes taken out of my paycheck.  I learned quickly why adults complain about taxes.  I did not have an understanding of the issue until I was directly impacted. 
Having a job also meant giving up more of my free time.  During the week I had to learn to balance time between school and work.  I learned that much like adults I had to make time for my schoolwork while at the same time working a part time job.  I had to give up time with my friends and missed some events that I normally would not has missed.  I quickly learned that time management is essential. 
Without a doubt my first job is the most important event that shaped me toward adulthood.  I learned that others at work depended on me to be on time.  The paychecks are nice but I discovered taxes are a part of all workers lives.  Lastly, I got a taste of what it is like for an adult to work everyday.

tipsy.Cheshire, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Your writing style is professional and interesting - I really liked it! After reading this article I feel motivated to get a job, probably over the summer. Thanks for sharing. (:

walker2011 said...
walker2011, Newtonville, Massachusetts
nice article