Breaks!! | Teen Ink

Breaks!!

By Abbie Hammond BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Abbie Hammond BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

“SLOW DOWN!!”, my was yelling as we were approaching my first left turn! This is my first time driving down the old dirt road we drive down every weekend.

We would soon arrive to see my aunts and uncles, cousins too! Smells of dust and grass fill the car as the breeze is blowing in my face, with the windows of my car rolled down.

“What a beautiful summer day!” I said as we cruise down the road.

It’s the summer of 2013 and it was the first time I’ve attempted the old dirt road we go down every weekend. As I begin to see the corner I will have to turn left at… I suddenly come to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Because my mom keeps telling me to slow down. How much slower do I have to go? I thought myself I’m not even moving!!!!

My mom is on the phone right now and telling me to,
“Slow down!!”, or to “Press the breaks.” So I press on the break and stop. My mom is telling me to slow down so I have to be doing something wrong. As I say back in an worried voice,
“What’s wrong?!” Now no longer was the smell of dust and summer grass in the air, it is switched to fear and frustration. My mom started talking trying to stay relaxed,

“I can remember when I was teaching your sister how to drive when we came up to this corner you and your brother were in the back seat, and we went around the corner on two wheels! I just didn’t want you to do that.”
“Oh”, I responded. I apologized for getting mad at her for making me slow down and stop the car. It wasn’t her fault she is just looking out for me.

Next I started moving the car and turning the wheel this time my mom was ok with me going around the corner. She talked me through it very patiently,

“Now turn the steering wheel and press the gas slowly and speed up a little bit, you’re going to do fine.”

Now I am confident because she said I am going to do fine so I smoothly turned the corner. Thank you!!! I think to myself I didn’t know if she would let me continue. I think she is going to make me get out of the car and she is going to go the rest of the way, but she’s letting me continue. Now we are entering the lake the beautiful sun is shining down on the sparkling lake almost distracting,

“Dang! Can you pass me my sunglasses?”, I exclaimed questionably to my mom because, the lake reflected right into my eyes. Like standing on a stage with a light shining in your eyes. 

“Sure!” My mom replied as she starts to put them in my hand. As I drive around the lake and arrive to my cottage I  was in relief but, my family made a big deal about me driving and they start yelling down to us
“Woah! Is that Abbie driving? Already? She’s not old enough! They actually made it?”, these are just a few of the comments my family is making about me driving. I think to myself, they are really distracting. But they stopped now so now I can park the car in the smallest parking space ever!

Wow this is my first time driving and I survived! I hope that’s only one of many!

Now every weekend I drive down that old dirt road and no longer does fear and frustration fill the summer air. Instead dust and grass as I drive with the windows down and breeze in my hair! One thing I have learned when doing something new or learning something new it’s always good to stay calm and relax because everyone takes time to adapt. I also learned how to use all the controls and how to steer my car, see all four corners, adjust my mirrors, and use my break and gas pedals correctly. It was one crazy ride but it all worked out.