All Aboard the Catwalk | Teen Ink

All Aboard the Catwalk

February 17, 2015
By Babobaby BRONZE, Unknown, New Jersey
Babobaby BRONZE, Unknown, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Great. Now we're all bloody inspired."


 I’ve been infatuated with clothing ever since my brain became capable of seeing and remembering. Whenever I went shopping, I looked 99% of the time and only bought at the end. I wanted to store every interesting design in my brain. Ever since I was young, I drew clothes- they made up 95% of all things that I drew. I began with simple triangles with squiggly lines as embellishment. Then, in second grade, I first discovered sketchbooks that already had models drawn on them. This was when I really began to draw realistic clothes. Not only dresses, but jeans, tops, skirts, and jackets. I made sure that each had its own unique shape and design, a pattern that stood out. Over time, I was proud to flip through my pages of sketches and colors. Ever since, I’ve stared through the windows of every clothing store I’ve passed by and looked at practically every shoe at the mall. Even the weird ones.
         

But what really became my turning point, when I knew that I wanted to be a designer, was a very simple thing. I was at home, watching a video for school. I was about 9 at the time. That was when I noticed a video of a fashion show. I don’t exactly remember which one it was, but it could’ve been the Paris Fashion Week fashion show. But the one thing that I do remember was that the clothes were almost nothing like the ones I had seen before, at the store and the malls. Models strutted down the aisle in dresses shaped like eggs, ones that flew out behind them like peacock tails, and a lot more strange shapes. One very simple flowing brown dress had a color that I would usually have been disgusted by, but its simplicity and grace made the dress look fit for an Arabian princess. There were dresses with holes in random places. One model looked as if she could crash in her huge feathery white dress. One of the several that really stuck to my mind was one that looked like it was chopped in half. These definitely were not outfits to wear on a daily basis, but to my 9 year old eyes, they were fascinating. And they still are. They showed me that fashion wasn’t all about pretty things to wear to school and fancy bags to show off. Fashion was art, and they could come in many different colors and shapes, just like the egg-shaped dress I had seen. I looked at my sketchbook, many of its pages filled with “abnormal” designs, as some of my friends called it. But I knew right then that there was no limit on fashion. I could carry my pen and my thoughts as far from the norm as I wanted to.
          After that day, I kept on drawing, not caring how strange they may have seemed. I wanted to keep on drawing until I had a whole portfolio of drawings. I’d have a big shelf filled with sketchbook after sketchbook, each page full of my own, original designs. It would feel really good to know about all the thoughts and ideas that had gone through my head over the years.
         

In twenty years, I’ll exit from my own headquarters and have reporters crowd around me, asking a thousand questions about my new clothing line. The best part of it all will be going to the Paris Fashion Week show and watching from the front center seat, as my models strut down the walkway in my new seasonal garments. The bright lights will illuminate my designs, and a warm feeling of pride will spread throughout my body. My heart will thump with anticipation, but I won’t be nervous- I know that my designs are even better than what everyone expects. As my most precious designs come up, the entire crowd will stand up and applaud. Photographers and reporters will yell out, as if they were at a rock concert.  My heart will beat faster, and it will feel as if I will explode from the excitement. The years of work, finally paying off! The applause will last for minutes as my next designs appear, each unique style worthy of all the applause in the world. I will have accomplished something greater than anything I could’ve imagined. All those strange designs that had filled my sketchbooks will be coming to life. The models, real people, will wear them and marvel at them. People will spend their time to just simply look and admire my designs. I will be an important part of many people’s lives, as the person behind the clothes that they feel marvellous, beautiful, and proud in. They will remember me as the person they could trust to make them feel like queens and kings. Seeing people happy and proud in my designs, I will know that I have finally accomplished my ultimate dream.

 

In twenty years, I will wake up in a bed with blankets that have my name stitched on it. As I look around, I will see my wall of bookcases, overflowing with everything about fashion. The rest of my room will be neat and clean, with a modern look to it. When I walk through a door, there will be an entire room full of my clothes, most of them designed by me. The living room will be bright, with sunlight shining through the wall of glass. A big table by the window, littered with sketchbooks and stacks of books, will be my main working area. The majestic view of New York City, particularly 5th Avenue, will be the background scene for my ideas. I will begin my day outside my penthouse by driving to my office, wearing clothes by my brand. My chauffeur will wait outside my penthouse building at 8:30 every morning. After a short drive, I will get settled in my office, yet another skyscraper. Once in my private office, I'll change into some comfortable slacks for the day. The round room, with yet another glass wall facing the city, will have a big desk of dark wood, with my own name plate. Along the walls, there will be headless mannequins with my newest designs on them. After a short day of work, at about 4 pm, I'll start home or to a meeting. Of course, I'll change back into the clothes from the morning from my slacks. Reporters will often crowd around the entrance of the building, so I'd often go through the back door. However, it won't be without the satisfaction of knowing that my outfit of that day will be on the fashion magazines the next day.
         
I hope that I one day find my place high in the fashion industry. I’d like to start my own successful fashion company. I would probably be the only designer in the beginning, working in a small store in some place that nobody knew about. But I hope that while I attend fashion school, I will make some strong ties with people who could provide funds for my beginning company. That would make my journey to the top a little bit easier. I expect that if things go well, I can first open a store at a mall. I would have a good chance of being noticed in a bustling place like it. With the profits, I’ll hire other designers, so that I can focus more on running the business while designing. I’d never give up on my original infatuation- designing! My company would mostly sell women’s clothing, including shoes, bags, and jewelry. After I reach success in that area, I could move on to children’s wear. I wouldn’t put my strange designs at stores, but I will keep thinking of new ones. And from then on, I hope to climb higher and higher to reach my goal- to have my designs presented at the Paris Fashion Week fashion show.