High School | Teen Ink

High School

By emilynicole_22 GOLD, Germantown Hills, Illinois
emilynicole_22 GOLD, Germantown Hills, Illinois
11 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"Love isn't about what your brain tells you. Love is when you put someone else's needs before your own."

She didn’t have many friends. During her freshman year, she had a ton of friends. But by senior year, she only had 4. Carson had been her friend for as long as anyone could remember. In kindergarten, they were joined at the hip. The only thing they didn’t do together was go to the bathroom. They did everything together up until 8th grade when they stopped talking. They may not have been talking, but he never turned his back on her. Then there was Michael. They hadn’t been friends long,  but they are best friends. Practically brother and sister. But she wanted more than that. She had liked him for as long as she could remember. Nobody knew that she liked him except her. He was one of those people that everybody liked. He was a popular who always knew how to make her smile, even when she didn’t want to. Hunter was a different story. They never got along. They fight and are constantly at each others throats. But that’s what made them such great friends. They were always there for each other and never turned their backs on one another. He wasn’t a popular person. He didn’t have the most friends. He was hated by more people than a normal person should be. He may have had more friends if he didn’t shut everyone out. But he had a habit of pushing away when he needed people. But Brielle was a special friend. They had just started being friends in 8th grade, but it was almost like they had known each other their whole lives. Like they had some invisible cord that connected them. They weren’t supposed to be friends, but they had so many memories together and they were so close, that they couldn’t just shut each other out. That would hurt them way more than it would hurt anyone else. So they did everything they could to make their friendship work. They saved each others lives more times than they could count. They were more sisters than friends. When one of them was sick, the other felt it. When one cried the other did too. That’s how close they were.
But then a new friend worked his way into her life. Owen wasn’t someone who everyone was friends with. But he was her friend. They were friends when he went to school with her, but then he graduated and they stopped talking. But one day, out of the blue, she saw him in the hallway at school and they started talking again. They hadn’t talked in 2 years. But it was almost like they had never stopped talking. She liked him as much as she had when they first met back in grade school, and he liked her as much as he had the last time he saw her. They both played baseball and softball in grade school, so they were always together. Their friendship was one of those that was meant to be. Like you nobody else could be that type of friend. Like nobody else can look at you and be like “hey, you’re having a crappy day. What’s wrong.” No one else but him could do that. She loved him more than anything, but he didn’t want the same things she did. He played baseball, she ran track. They never had time to hang out or even talk to each other. Texting was the only way they could talk because they were both so busy. Their friendship eventually came to an end when he graduated. They hung out for the last time after graduation and then he went off to college. She was only a junior. Everday she missed Owen, but when she would text him, he would say that he couldn’t talk. He was always busy. So she got involved with more sports. Track in the spring, travel softball in the summer. Just to keep her mind off of how much she missed him. But eventually, her mind would drift back to the good memories when they would hang out after baseball games and during football games. Or to the time when they went to prom together and she dumped kool aid down the back of his shirt. She realized that no matter  how far away they are from each other, or how angry they get, they still have all the memories they made in high school.
It was getting closer to graduation. Carson, Hunter, Brielle, and Michael had started to hate each other. Nobody talked to each other anymore, and she hadn’t talked to Owen in months. She could feel everyone shutting each other out and she didn’t know what to do. So she decided to go see Owen. When she showed up at his apartment, a girl answered the door. She knew at that moment why he stopped talking to her. He was cheating on her. He came to the door, and was surprised to see her. She looked at him and ran away crying. She went home heartbroken. She started shutting everyone out, and nobody tried to figure out what was wrong. Her friends acted like nothing was wrong, and her family never thought twice that something could possibly be wrong with her. She was slowly slipping into depression. She stopped eating and stopped sleeping. Nothing could make her smile, everything made her cry. She always thought about Owen and she would cry herself to sleep every night because she knew he was going to cheat on her. Graduation day was in a week, and she was dreading it. She wanted him there, but didn’t want to see him. The day before graduation, she couldn’t function. She went to graduation, but didn’t go to the parties that she was invited to. She just sat at home, and slowly died. Not eating or sleeping. Killing herself little by little everyday. Until one day, she wasted away to nothing.

high school is supposed to be fun, but its not