Blue Lines This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I had my eyes closed, praying that only one line would appear on the white background. I clenched my eyes so tight that tears began to fall. I finally opened them, realizing that the three minutes were up. My heart sank.

Instead of one, there were two bright blue lines. My life felt incomprehensible. My security blanket of childhood and adolescence tumbled out the window as I faced instant adulthood and motherhood.

Just a month before, I had sworn my life away to the United States Marine Corps. I dreaded walking into the recruiting office to explain I was no longer eligible because I was pregnant.

I bawled my eyes out. Would the father accept responsibility? Would he care and help? Would my parents shun me? Questions I had never considered before filled my mind.

I told my parents with so much hurt in my heart. I knew they were disappointed. I was the smart one in the family, I had a bright future. I was supposed to be the first one to go to college, and now all that had changed.

We went to the doctor, who confirmed the pregnancy. At my first sonogram I was able to see my baby for the first time and hear its heart beating so fast. My heart melted and I knew this was the plan God had for me.

I found out when I was about six weeks along, and as I write this I’m eleven weeks. I have to learn to take care of myself, for not only do I hold my future in my hands, but I hold this child’s.

After a few weeks, my father stopped speaking to me. My once-open book was now closed and I was confused about what to do. My mother cried day and night because she was lost in the sea of chaos that our house and family holds. I decided to go.

Eventually my family will be brought together by this baby as it was when my cousin was told he was being sent to Iraq. So, tomorrow I leave to live with the father of my child. Money will be hard and so will transportation - we are 17-year-old seniors without licenses.

We are not going to be able to do this on our own.

All of this has taught me to seek God harder and find peace with Him. Without Him I wouldn’t know which way to turn. I’m applying for college scholarships but I still do not know how I will pull off going to school, working, and raising a child. Some things just take faith.

Plume said...
Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:05 am:
wow, this is such an insparation to not give up !!! i love this story and how it is written !!!! well done <3 

OurSTORY said...
this was amazingly written. I'm sure that yuo will be a fantastic mom. Your dad will realize his mistake. :)

ValWiggin said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm:
i agree with cloudskater1!  please send updates!  and above all, dont give up hope.  

cloudskater1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:11 pm:
Wow,  this is so sad but so real, too. I really hope this works out. It was good because it wasn't just a pity story, like "poor me poor me why did this happen?", it was hopeful. Like you haven't given up. Keep trooping, I know somehow you'll make it! Please reply after you've had the baby and how you're doing it all!

KnitsandPurls replied...
Aug. 19, 2012 at 8:46 am :
I like the picture that you chose. And the story that you wrote. :)