Family Matters | Teen Ink

Family Matters

By EmmyKate BRONZE, Highland Home, Alabama
EmmyKate BRONZE, Highland Home, Alabama

Family is what is matters most to me. My family is always there for me and when I'm feeling down I just think of the times I spend with me family. I know people who are not as lucky as I am. They didn't get the family experience. When I think of people who don't know what it's like to live with a loving family, I realize how blessed I am. Most people take family for granted because for most people family is always this known thing that you will always have. Unfortunately that's not the case for every one.
   I used to have this cousin whose dad died when she was really young. Her mom didn't want her so she got passed around a lot, from great aunts to second cousins. It got to where they didn't know where to send her next. She was a troubled child but nobody could really blame her, especially with the unfortunate life she was given. Everyone thought she was a trouble maker and then send her on to the next person. Nobody seemed to give her a chance. At a young age she was doing drugs, drinking, skipping school, hanging out with the wrong crowd and with older guys. She died when she was 17 and I've always wondered if she regrets the life she lived. That's what not having a family does to you.
      My family and I are really close. I was taught that my brother would always be there for me and I would always be there for him, because of that we are closer than most siblings. When my aunts, uncles, and cousins come to visit us it is always good times, we never seem to not get along. I've had friends tell me that they wish they had a family like mine. Family is so important and I am so glad that I can say family matters most to me.