The Man With White Eyes | Teen Ink

The Man With White Eyes

January 23, 2015
By AChickCalledEly PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina
AChickCalledEly PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina
32 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Her name was Wren and she saw a man with white eyes.


This man would haunt her almost every night,and when she saw him, she would freeze like a beautiful I've sculpture. Her eyes would widen like a deer stuck in headlights,and she would be unable to speak until he was gone.


A girl with braids would warn her when he was about to come,because every other night, the man with white eyes would threaten to kill her. She would scream and fight him, drag his claws off of her body,and beg him to leave her alone. He never would. And so she would beg others to help her fight him. But they never did: maybe because only she could see him.


Wren was the first schizophrenic that I have ever met,and she was by far my favorite. Only 13 years old,her dark hair and high soprano singing voice reminded me of Ariana Grande. You would never guess she was schizophrenic until about 9:00pm: that is when the man with white eyes would come: that is when the girl with the braids would use holographic hands to try and be of assistance: that is when Wren would fall apart.
Wren would reach out,to people at her school and adults outside of the educational system, but all people would do is look at her with horrified expressions,and drop obscene profanities such as "crazy" and "mental" and "insane". This drove Wren to the point where she burned and cut and ran away and,eventually,attempted suicide. A girl, barely a teenager, was so desperate to escape from this man with white eyes,that she tried to end her own life. Eventually she would use music to drown out his death threats,and she would record the cruel words he spoke in a journal,marble covered, college ruled. When I left Wren she was still fighting the man with the white eyes,and still,nobody was helping her.


I write this piece for Wren,and for other teenagers struggling with schizophrenia. I write this for all those who the man with white eyes or some other ghost has haunted,and I dedicate this to every adult who has helped these ghosts stop haunting children.


And I hope,with all my heart,somebody did that for Wren.


The author's comments:

Dedicated to Wren (name changed).