Trouble | Teen Ink

Trouble

By Bennett Harty SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Bennett Harty SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Have you ever been in a ton of trouble? It’s not fun for anyone, but there are a few ways that seem to help me to get in way less trouble. I remember one time when I was about 11 years old. When I was around this age, I watched a ton of television. Since I watched my favorite shows all the time, I would just multitask. I would play with all my toys as I watched TV. Now me and my brother had a lot of cool little toys when we were younger, especially an airsoft pistol that him and I had gotten from santa one year. So, of course I would play with this airsoft pistol too. Just pretending that I was hunting, or shooting bottles with a real gun. As i would play, I would just start dry firing the airsoft pistol at anything, just for fun. Once the commercials came around I cocked back my pistol, and shot. Not only to find that there was a plastic BB already loaded in the gun, but that I was aiming it at our new 42 inch TV, i’m pretty sure you know what happened... Since my mom went to go shopping earlier this day over in red wing, and my dad was out in the garage so I was the only one around the house when this occurred. This also gave me time to panic and figure out what to do, so I called my mom, just terrified, and I felt like my stomach had just turned inside out. Once I called her and told her what had happened she told me she didn't know what she was supposed to do, and I agreed with her. I didn't know either. Later I had to man up and go tell me dad, he doesn't  take news like this very well, and I got in a bucket load of trouble. If i would have known what i knew now I could have avoided most of the punishment. So here are my ideas of how to get in less trouble if your family is like mine.

Always be honest, make things right, and always, always go to mom first.

Honesty is the most important one to help you out. You only get in more trouble if you try to bypass your punishment by lying through your teeth. Not only can parents usually tell when their kids are lying just by the way you talk, and your actions, but if your lie gets caught, that means your parents can’t trust you anymore and you just get in more trouble than if you were to just tell the truth. Ever since I could talk my mom would always know when I was lying to her. But she would try to trick me into telling the truth. When she thought that I was lying she would ask to see my tongue, and if she saw a red spot it would mean that I was lying. And if there wasn't a red spot I would be telling the truth. So everytime I would try to get away with something, i’d go to my brother and ask if there was a red spot on my tongue, but apparently only adults can see it whenever I would confront her for lying about there being a red spot on there. But hey, I believed that a red spot would show up just about until I turned 11 or 12, so for all those years I would for the most part tell the truth. While your telling the truth it can also help you with my next idea, it will help make things right, and easier.

Making things right is also very important, this just kind of includes apologizing and admitting to your mistakes. It may not seem like it but saying you’re sorry goes a long way. Longer than you can imagine if you really mean it. Making everything alright builds trust between you and your parents, it shows you care about what you did, and that it really was an accident and you were telling the truth. Another thing you should do while making it ok, is to explain to them what happened, that way they know what went down, show them your point of view on the issue. Making it right shows maturity for more things than just being in trouble. All this helps out a lot, but theres one last thing that i do to get in less trouble.

Go to mom. Me and my brother have always gone to our mother first, before we go to our dad. That way we can kind of get a sense for how bad it really was. Our dad never reacts a lot so his idea of a big deal is not one to our mom. The reasons I go to mom first is for many reasons. My mom is more understanding, and stays calm through the whole thing, unless if I really messed up. She is also Reasonable for the punishments she gives me. They aren't bad, but they aren't good either. I believe its because women are more commonly sensitive than men, she shows more empathy because i’m still her little boy. Dads aren't always bad, because sometimes they just don't care. Whenever possible I recommend going to mom  first though.

These are the three main ways I stay out of trouble, be honest, make things right, and go to mom first. This lets me spend less time in my room and more time doing things I want to and having fun. I know that these may not work for everybody, but these work for me and my family. But if you're anything like me, you'll do anything to get in less trouble.