The place I felt most contented in (personal statement) | Teen Ink

The place I felt most contented in (personal statement)

January 17, 2015
By RoseLouisa PLATINUM, Yishun, Other
RoseLouisa PLATINUM, Yishun, Other
22 articles 6 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Juliet had it easy; she never had to kill Romeo.”
― Richelle Mead, Last Sacrifice

“Life, unfortunately, doesn't seem to care what we want.”
― Richelle Mead, Last Sacrifice

“I like him."
"Like or like?
"Oh, there's a difference?”
― Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy


Slouching, with my hands placed on my hips, I huffed and puffed as I tried to catch my breath from the long run. I braved the heat of the sun as I made my way to the shade. The sun was like a celestial fireball in the sky. Its beams scorched the land and sent the polyurethane track into a bright red sparkle.
Contentment is simple, it is to feel at ease and comfortable with what you do. It is ironic how simple it is yet difficult to achieve in reality. However I have achieved it at the most unlikely place, the track.
My event in track and field is throwing, more specifically, discus and javelin. I am not like the rest of the throwers as I lack the most fundamental advantage all of them possess --- I lack arm strength. Although I am on the disadvantage, it does not stop me from loving what I do in track. My teammates and I will train under the scorching sun with no grumblings or complains, three days a week, with each training lasting 3 hours. Unlike the other events in track and field, throwing requires both mental and physical strength. Mentally, our minds have to be clear as we need to be able to think through our movements. We have to be mentally aware of our body positioning, in that short few seconds as we execute the throw. Our minds have to be continuously thinking and moving as we calculate the time of release, pushing off with our legs and many other contributing factors that might make a difference, all, in the midst of throwing. Physically, we have to have arm strength and lower body strength as throwing is not just about arm strength, we need to use our body weight and leg strength as well. With so many contributing factors and so many areas to work on, it does not deter my love and passion for throwing. Instead it made my passion stronger than ever. I love the challenge of having to push myself forward in order to not be left behind. Track made it possible, for me to not stay stagnant but constantly improve myself. Now it only matters how I could improve my strength, my techniques, my speed and many more. Track helped me developed the sense of competitiveness; I no longer only throw for the sake of throwing. I throw for myself; the effort I have put in, I throw for the ones I love; for supporting me  throughout my sporting journey, and I throw for what I represent, my school; for they gave me this opportunity to represent and this platform to train. Track has ignited this fire in me, this passion that burns and a will that is strong. Track has given me so much, experience, values, pride that I am not surprised it has slowly edged into our hearts, not just for me, but the other trackers too. The polyurethane track, does not know how special and important it is to us.
Training is like a blessing in disguise. So much energy and time and effort put in to perfect a single throw. Yet I always feel complete and at ease as I know I had done what I can. Amidst the sweat, the muscle aches, the frustrations, is the profound feeling I have towards track. There is actually more values I can learn in track than anywhere else. I learnt to be brave. I learnt to persevere. I learnt that we have to be positive. I learnt that not everything will go our way; we just have to try and try and try. The list is endless.
It is never easy to achieve contentment and ease, however, when you have finally achieved it, every second, minute and hour of your life will revolve around it. There is neither regret nor unhappiness. Just pure, sheer joy and peace. And no matter the time, effort, blood and sweat required to pursue it, it is definitely worth fighting for.