Share a Chip or Two | Teen Ink

Share a Chip or Two

January 14, 2015
By Mitch Maslanka BRONZE, Northboro, Massachusetts
Mitch Maslanka BRONZE, Northboro, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It all started when I sat down in writing workshop with my quart sized zip lock bag filled with my favorite salty white generic corn chips. Their taste so fantastic, my heart warms after every bite. After about my 8th chip, a large figure appeared from my left peripheral. It was Rick. This tall boy’s arm lunged towards my bag of chips and my face showed great concern. I knew what was happening. I was being robbed and there was nothing I could do. I couldn’t say no. The entire class would hear and I’d be a big meanie for not sharing. I couldn’t grab his arm and prevent him from grabbing my salty load, for he would undoubtedly overpower me. As I grabbed a chip and watched this horrid event unfold on my desk, I sat and somehow began to feel happy. I was sharing.

Sharing is, according to Wikipedia, “the joint use of resource or space.” I was clearly sharing. Rick and I were both using my resource: the heavenly corn chips. Sharing has been around for thousands of years, and it’s the most likely reason why humans have evolved to be a very successful civilization. Farmers back in the ancient times used to share their corn crops, resulting in a food surplus for everyone. The only downside to sharing is that you’re losing a few chips. This con is heavily outweighed by many pros. The person receiving the chips is happy now, you feel good about yourself, and other people look at you as if you’re a caring and helpful individual.

When I shared with Rick, I realized what I was doing for him. I was helping a hungry boy meet his daily nutritional needs so he would be able to succeed in his multiple AP classes, cross country practice, and Boy Scouts later that day. Some people need a little help throughout the day. So spread the kindness and give away that piece of Trident gum, Chips Ahoy cookie, pencil or a few corn chips. Because when you do, you’ll make that person’s day a little bit better, and they’ll be forever grateful. As everybody knows, sharing is caring.