Locked Up in a Cage | Teen Ink

Locked Up in a Cage

By Victoria.F. BRONZE, Boca Raton, Florida
Victoria.F. BRONZE, Boca Raton, Florida

Be happy

Society is an issue in this world and unfortunately we cannot get rid of it for we make up society.  Our neighbors across the street, our parents, friends, teachers, us. We all make up society. Girls now think that they are ugly when they are not, and we believe that money and success are the key to life.  And the culprit is not one person but everybody around us. It’s society.

Once upon a time we were small and our minds were innocent and naive and we were unaware of the lurking creature around us who will eventually change our minds . That my friend is the monster which is also known as society, and it already has our lives set and planned out on how they want it to be.  We we were free once.  We hadn’t made our opinions on what was good and bad yet. But the sad part is, we eventually grow up and no longer have innocent and naive minds.  We have now made up our opinions on life based on others and we are now struggling with society. We are locked up in a cage fighting to get out.  We are no longer free. And it is quite a sad story.

When I was younger I believed what I wanted and I didn’t quite understand the world like I do today.  I believed that Miami, Florida was the only place in the world, and I had the biggest imagination full of ideas and possibilities. I believed I could be an astronaut if I wanted, or a ballerina.  I now understand the world is an enormous place and we have all these possibilities along the way. But an issue I started having as I grew older was that I no longer believed I could be anything I wanted to be.  I  didn’t believe that I could be an astronaut or a ballerina, and  I had come to believe that I could not be a writer because I wasn’t good enough.  But the thing is that I can be an astronaut if I work hard enough, and even though I cannot dance I could still be a ballerina if I believed in myself, and I now believe that I am a writer for I am writing this at the moment.  The issue is that I started to no longer believe in myself because the people around us started to tell us that was not logical.  But the thing is we need the people who think out of the box, because if Thomas Edison didn’t believe that he could create the lightbulb what would we use today?  We need the inventors and the people who live out of the box to inspire us to think for ourselves.

I truly believe that we shouldn’t listen to society around us and that we should try to form our own ideas and opinions. We need to be our own self and make the world a better place.  Maybe the little young children in kindergarten are the people that we should be looking up to. They’re the ones that are free.  And they’re the onex that have the key to open the cage.

I really hope you enjoy!