The Life We Know | Teen Ink

The Life We Know

January 20, 2015
By HalaKahiki BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
HalaKahiki BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I was born on the year of 2000, I am fourteen years old. I live in a place where people call paradise, but not everything here is what you think it is. It is not just all good, and fun, and safe. Sometimes it can be dangerous, full of sickness. You can feel like there is nothing left for you. That is what I used to feel like when I found out that my father went to the hospital because of the third time his throat kept him breathing. The doctors ran tests to see what the cause was. Before it was just a blood clot, but this time it was different. I felt like something was wrong, something different than all the other times. Than I got the call, the doctors said, he had cancer. I never felt what I felt that night. The pain, the sadness, the horror. I never thought that in my entire life I would feel this, this pain. My dad though, he had a different reaction. He said that this was all according to God?s plan. I could not believe how calm he was about this. He had cancer before, when he was younger, and his younger siblings didn?t understand what was happening than. This time it was different. They didn?t want to believe that this was happening to him, again. They would argue with him and tell him that God has abandoned him. My dad would keep telling them that it was God?s plan for this to happen. A lot of things changed because of this. As a family we changed what we eat, just that he wasn?t alone. He didn?t feel like eating though, everything tasted like metal or like cardboard, and it would hurt his throat. This was because of his therapy he was going through. I can never imagine what he had to go through, it must have been tough to go through that and keep his faith. Everytime I felt like I was giving up, I remembered that my dad was going through a lot more than me. He kept me on my feet. There were bumps on the road. Sometimes he would argue with my mom, get mad at the animals, get mad at us. I had to realize that it wasn?t his fault, it was because of the therapy. He had a purpose there, he needed to be there. I don?t know if you have ever been in that part of the hospital, where the cancer patients were waiting to get therapy. It is the gloomiest place you can go. Whilst he was there he would talk with people, about God, and Jesus. He started to preach to these people, and they listened, because my dad was going through the same thing they were going through. A few weeks of this happening, he finally got a break. He was done with radiation for good. He can start getting his taste buds back. Be able to eat, become who he was before. He seemed different some how, I don?t know if it was just me that could tell but he seemed different. I couldn?t put my finger on it though, but he had changed. It was just in time for Christmas. This Christmas I will never forget, even though I didn?t get much I got the most amazing present ever. My dad was done with radiation, and my family was home. Later he went to the hospital for an appointment, they had to see how the cancer is doing. When they put the camera in him they coulnd?t find one trace of it. When my parents told me this I was relieved. I felt like everything was over. Everything that happened, over. My mom took family leave, so that she could be with my dad. Helping him, doing things that he couldn?t. She had it tough, because right after, when my dad found out that he didn?t have any cancer, she had to go back to work so that she can pay the bills. This where I am now, typing this story, I know that other people have it worse than me. I?m just saying that not all things are good, but we should not let that keep us down, we need to keep our head high, not let the world get to us. I believe that all bad thing is something put in our life as obstacles, not roadblocks. See, life has a funny way of helping us grow into who we are, life is not going to give us a free ticket to life. This place I live in always reminds me that instead of everything that is good has something bad, but everything bad has a good outcome of it. This is what I have learned, this is something that will help me grow into the person that I will become in the future. I am grateful that this has happened to me. I now know why this has happened. It wasn?t just a trial for me, but for my family. Remember, there is always an outcome, good or bad, doesn?t matter, it will help you grow.