Dear Past Self | Teen Ink

Dear Past Self

January 20, 2015
By ivy_robinson99 BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
ivy_robinson99 BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear past self,
This road has been quite a bumpy one. But not with others. You are quite the friend. Stay loyal to the friends you have now, because when you get into high school they change. Not necessarily for the better. The people you think mean the world to you can disappear. Your “best friend” can be your enemy in a matter of months. So just try to be the best friend you can be. But never depend too much on others. Rely on yourself.
Boys are a waste of time. Forget about them. Right now you think they’re everything. Everyone else is all lovey dovey with the “love of their life.” Don’t fall into that crap. It’s a joke. All boys want at this age is to get in your pants. And trust me that would just another sense of confusion. Just please wait until you are older and ready to be in a relationship. Because I know you (I am you) and you are definitely not ready for that commitment.
You are capable of so many things, and I wish you would just realize that by now. Your self-confidence is little to nothing. I just want you to know, self-confidence is the sexiest thing you can wear. No amount of makeup, or expensive clothing can measure up to a young woman who believes she is beautiful and strong. That is what is attractive.
I wish you would love yourself like others around you do. If you keep that same mind set you will destroy yourself. The little thoughts that were in the back of your head, will soon overcome your entire mind. The whispers will become shouts, and you will struggle to overcome them. Please, learn to love yourself before it gets too far. Because being a self-conscious teenage in this day and age is difficult. If you are not sure about yourself, the media will tear you apart. All of the images of perfection will overwhelm you
Let others love you. Don’t push them away just because you don’t think you are good enough. Your life could be ten times better if you would just open up. Don’t be so shy. But also don’t go crazy. Be safe and try to use your judgment.
Please don’t forget who you are. Do not change just to fit into the crowd. Your unique personality will shine through all the others. Remember to always be kind to others and continue to be selfless. Don’t let peer pressure get to you. If you know what you want to do with your life, stick with it. Don’t let others tear you down with them.
Ivy, the last thing I am going to tell you is, it gets better. The troubles you are going through now won’t matter in ten years. Family will always be forever. They will always stick by you. And get help if things get bad again. I want you to have a happy and healthy life. If you listen to the things I have told you, you’ll be on the right track.