Thoughts on Homeschooling | Teen Ink

Thoughts on Homeschooling

By nightlightwriter SILVER, West Des Moine, Iowa
nightlightwriter SILVER, West Des Moine, Iowa

Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don’t see any.

I'm 14 years old and I have been in Public school for three. Since I was 4 my mom has taught me everything along side my many brothers and sisters. When the 7th baby was on the way my mom said something had to go, because who can home school 6 kids while being pregnant? My brother was put in public school in 7th grade and I was put in a year after. Going into Junior High was one of the biggest changes of my life. Trust me, I was absolutely terrified of public school. I only had the experience of a Home school Enrichment program which only offered things like Drama, Art and P.E. Of course even then, I kept to myself being shy. I made a few good friends and everybody liked me but a handful of home schoolers is a lot different than a school of 750.

Knowing almost nothing about pop culture and fashion, I made a pretty big impression when people asked me what school I went to. Slowly I learned about the “public school” system and friends and boyfriends and grades and tests. My first day was so confusing and terrifying but a girl I shared most of my classes with, finally introduced herself in math class. Being the first ones in the classroom, our teacher told us to sit wherever. Noticing me, the girl turned around and said somewhat shyly, “Hi, my name’s Madison.”  I quickly smiled back at her and told her my name was Tia. “Nice name” she said. Later, because I had a map of the school she asked me where the chorus room was. Finding it for her I pointed towards the music hall. “Thanks” she said with a big grin. We were instantly friends.

Madison was friends with a girl in my home room, whose parents were from India. Her name was Shreya and I sat with her and another girl because the popular girls didn't really care for me and I didn't want to sit next to the boys. One day standing in the lunch line, Shreya invited me to sit with her and her friends. From then on,we were friends, and having block class together along with Madison, I had a great first year. When I was in 8th grade, I met another Madison who referred to herself as Maddy and who now is my best friend. I’m friends with  almost everyone in Shreya’s friend group and a few others besides. Now I don’t “talk” with the Madison I met my first day of public school, but we smile at each other in the hallways and talk online. The friends I made while I was homeschooling are lost to the 4 winds as far as I know, but I sometimes run into them.

I’m now in 9th grade, and there is so much drama in high school. Of course, I don’t take part but some of my friends have tried crying on my shoulder. Then they think I’m heartless when I don’t express my sympathy. To tell the truth, I’ve never had a boyfriend, crush, never been to a salon, don’t believe in makeup, earrings or piercings of any kind, highlights, perms, or any other thing a high school girl should care about. I don’t judge people but I don’t want to be judged either. I’m a deeply religious Catholic, so I pray at lunch when my friends are chatting away. The first time I did it, everyone stared at me, but now they are used to it. Likewise I won’t go over to any ones house on a Sunday because I have church. I’m different, but I’m thankful my friends have accepted me.

Public school is so much different than homeschooling. When I was home schooled I could work at my own pace and learn about things I want to know like America’s wars or the scientific method. My sister was my best friend, and I got to see my mom every day. Plus I got to go around barefoot all the time.  In public school, I get to see my friends every day and my teachers love me. I got to join Archery club and Theater. But I can’t take my shoes off and I can’t bite my nails. If I had a chance to go back to homeschooling, I would take it. I have dyslexia, so public school can be really hard. I never had graded test in home school and I never had to take notes. In 8th grade social studies I knew everything about the civil war because I studied it while everyone else was learning long division. I love my family(now with nine kids), and even though we don’t always get along, I don’t know what I would do without them. Homeschooling was some of the best years of my life :).