Homecoming | Teen Ink

Homecoming MAG

It was the thrilling week in the fall all students look forward to: Homecoming. Everyone was excited about spirit days, the bonfire, the big game, and the legendary Homecoming dance. Usually Homecoming isn’t a big deal to me, but this year was going to be one I’d remember.

The week passed with lots of fun, including galloping cowboys, super nerds, and waves of purple and gold. As the week drew to a close, the dance grew nearer. At first I hadn’t planned on going, but I was persuaded by some girlfriends to join in their festivities. I rummaged through my closet for a last-minute outfit and, albeit reluctantly, arrived at my friend’s house. I was greeted by my beautiful friends with shining smiles; how could they not have dates? We loaded into the car and set off for a Lebanese restaurant.

The atmosphere in the restaurant was cozy and romantic; though none of us had dates, it was still a pleasant place for dinner. The food was marvelous, with an array of flavors ranging from smooth hummus and warm pita bread to lemony rice and zesty cilantro fries. We split the bill and continued to the dance.

The crisp late September air was buzzing with anticipation. We entered the school gym with its pulsing music and flashing lights. I wasn’t (and still am not) much of a dancer, but I did my best and had fun at the same time. Loads of people crowded in the gym, making the temperature rise. On several occasions, my friends and I took breaks in the lobby to cool down.

Eventually, the dance was coming to a close. The final song began - a slow song. I thought, Okay. The dance is over. It’s time to go home. Then, unexpectedly, I felt a soft tap on my arm. It was a guy I recognized from our cross-country team. I barely knew him, but here he was asking me to dance. I obliged.

It was an inspiring experience since it was the first time someone had asked me to dance. That led to getting to know that guy better, and I eventually asked him to the Sadie Hawkins dance later in the year. He’s one of those people who are a joy to know, and I am so happy that this dance brought him into my life.

on Jun. 5 2010 at 10:38 am
LihuaEmily SILVER, North Kingstown, Rhode Island

"It is said that there's no such thing as a free lunch. But the universe is the ultimate free lunch." -Alan Guth

A nice slice-of-life story. It's a little plain but the charm lies partly in its simplicity. There was a pretty clear feeling of atmosphere. Good job.

lovestruck said...
on May. 14 2010 at 11:23 am
most guys are hopeless. you have to be the onee to ask them. 

on Apr. 22 2010 at 12:54 am
mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
Adorable. This is really good. Youre a great writer.

on Mar. 9 2010 at 3:15 am
Valtarov SILVER, Colorado Springs, Colorado

I said to the man at the gate, "Give me a light, that I may tread safely into the unknown." and he replied, "Go out into the darkness, and put your hand into the hand of God. That will to you be better than the light and safer than the Known."

I'm a guy. This encouraged me more than you can know to continue my practice of asking every girl I know remotely at dances to dance. I was beginning to think that it didn't even matter; I see that I am wrong.

on Feb. 15 2010 at 10:16 am
salem_rose SILVER, Brainerd, Minnesota

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will ~ George Bernard Shaw

Aww. This is soooo cute! It touched me.

=)