A Struggle I've Overcame in My Life | Teen Ink

A Struggle I've Overcame in My Life

December 15, 2014
By Erica Mortenson BRONZE, Skullton, Illinois
Erica Mortenson BRONZE, Skullton, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing”. This quote from Helen Keller relates to a hardship I’ve overcame in my life. On a cold, rainy day in fifth grade my parents broke the news to me that we were moving to Illinois. At the time I was living in Washington State. I thought it was the worst thing that could ever happen to me, but it ended up being the turning point in my life.
Although moving was difficult for me, an even more difficult problem occurred as a result of moving and this was being million miles away from my family and friends. This was very hard for me because I’m very close with my family. When I lived in Washington, I used to see my aunt and grandma about every other week. Now, since I live in Illinois, I only see them every couple of months. I especially miss spending holidays with them as well. I overcame this obstacle by keeping in touch with them by calling or texting and recent visits on breaks.
Another difficult part about moving is getting used to the new environment. My first day of school in Illinois was nerve wracking for me. My stomach was in a knot the whole day and I was worried I wouldn't make any new friends. Also, I didn’t know the building or where anything was at. I overcame this by trying to be outgoing and friendly and on my first day of school at my new school I made a few new friends.
When I moved I thought there was nothing good about it, but I was wrong. A few things I got out of moving is I got to experience a new place where everything is different and almost totally opposite. Also, from moving I got to meet new people and make new friends.  Overall, from moving I learned to always look for the good in every situation.
I overcame moving by always looking for the good in every situation. Moving was hard for me because even though it’s been four years, I still miss my family and friends every day. With the help of my family and new friends I got used to the new surroundings. Moving made me learn that all journeys bring both joy and hardships.