Short Story | Teen Ink

Short Story

December 9, 2014
By Anonymous

Everyone has a moment in their life when they know things are changing.  Mine came late this summer.  The summer before senior year is when a lot of things change, you become an adult, and more things are expected of you.  You know that it will be the last care free summer.  We were at our favorite hangout spot, listening to music, fooling around, enjoying the first night back with me since I had come back from working at camp.  It was almost like the first night of the summer, that endless possibility feeling.  After talking about what had happened the month before, we decided to walk down to the shore like we usually do.  We raced down the path, careful not to fall over the ledge on the edge of the shore.  We sat down on the big, flat rock and looked as the moon shone off of the water in the night.  That’s when I felt it.  Lots of things were going to start changing quickly and there was nothing I could do to slow it down, just enjoy things while they happened.  We sat there in quietly for a while, listening to the water hit the rocks, savoring what was left of our last summer as kids.  As we walked back together to our vehicles and whispered our goodbyes, I knew that whatever happened after this, that these were the best friends that I would ever have, and nothing was going to change that.