Strengths come from within | Teen Ink

Strengths come from within

By nike__boom BRONZE, Guam, Other
nike__boom BRONZE, Guam, Other

respect isnt given, it ia earned

Jiu jitsu is a sport that I love to do.  It keeps my mind occupied and keeps me on track with my daily routine.  Although Jiu jitsu is a sport with lots of physical contact it’s all about self-discipline and respect for one another. 
I’ve been training on this sport for about five years and feel it has done a lot for me.  It has taught me a lot of discipline and respect for others.
When preparing for an upcoming tournament, I always ensure I am both mentally and physically prepared.  Before I enter the mat, I create a plan to use the techniques I’ve learned and provide my best strengths that will have the biggest impact.
My biggest strength comes from the mind.  I think about some basic movements . . . .
Ability to relax -  During my match, I think to myself without the ability to relax, I will eventually get exhausted and likely injured.  In most cases a super-tense competitive mindset slows my progress down.  I’ve proved to myself relaxed while sparring or competing gives me more access to my skills.
Bridging and Shrimping – I constantly keep in mind bridging and shrimping are like vowels in language. It is a very important movement which ‘sew’ all my moves together. 
Breath control - My ability to perform on the mat is linked to your state of mind, which links to my breathing.  If my breathing is smooth than so will my movements.
Focusing on my strengths and applying it on my matches, I’ve successfully won 3 gold medals and 1 silver medal. 
Jiu Jitsu has changed my life for the better.   It has taught me Self Defense, Success, Confidence, and Camaraderie.  THESE STRENGTHS COME FROM WITHIN!